Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

F23A Turbo question. how much boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Default F23A Turbo question. how much boost?

Ok i have a 2000 Honda Accord EX with a F23A, im thinking about turboing it. right now it has 43K miles on engine, the only upgrades i have are a AEM cold air intake (which will change if i turbo it) and full exhaust 2.5inch, and the header doesnt matter as it will change if i turbo it... so lets just say i have a stock slammed accord. how much boost should the F23A handle with stock internals? i heard the F23A is one of the best honda engines for handling boost. its only about 600 or so bucks for a used f23a off ebay so im not to worried about blowing this one. what do you guys recommend.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: F23A Turbo question. how much boost?

I think 8psi is the general maximum for the stock internals on the f-series. If you're already buying a used engine, why not just upgrade the internals while you're at it.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 PM

im not going to buy a used engine, i just mean the option is there if i blow this one. as in im not scared to run a little more boost then usual. 10psi on stock internals is alot more then i thought it would handle being stock, what other small upgrades can i do internally to make it handle more boost? piston and rings? crank? or is it kind of all for nothing as far as that goes. im not looking to have a fully built race engine. i just want it to be pushin more hp and besemi reliable. what can i get away with that will help it handle boost without doin a complete race motor.

i

Old 05-13-2008, 01:35 PM

i'll PM the list as you asked in a sec... but 8psi is the max...

Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM

Get something reliable to tune it with. Thats where your best investment should be made. It also makes a difference if your 5spd or Auto.

www.spoolinperformance.com - has 2 different turbo manifolds for the F23. One is a stainless log manifold and they also offer a cast iron manifold.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 PM

the log is the better of the two right? whats my best choice for turbo.. for reliability and performance

Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 AM

IMO yes...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:10 AM

I can tell you from exprience don't waste your time. You want a sample turbo'd accord and it will suck your money dry.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 AM

Let's go through a basic list of stuff you will need for a stock motor with turbo

255lph fuel pump
550cc injectors
head gasket
3" exhaust
boost gauge
oil pressure gauge
maybe a/f gauge
ECU stand alone or piggy back (it much easier to tune with a stand alone)
Hks ssqv bov or what ever(you want people to know you have a turbo, that's the fun part)

That's about $3,000 just for turbo support not labor.

I've had to rebuilt my motor twice, fully built by the way. And it's in the shop again I guess the third time the charm. Some how the piston is hitting the spark plug. Maybe it's justmy bad luck with my f23 turbo.
But it is fun to drive.
Trust me when the vtec kick it with a turbo 8psi is good.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Long time don't hear from u SKHEMR!
I remember u help me w/ some turbo stuff in the past... thanxs man, my car is running great... want to upgrade the internals thou, still stock... mind a little list of pistons rods and very basics w/ brands, so i can look them up? Thanks dude!

Quick Reply: F23A Turbo question. how much boost?