Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Safe way to TURBO my 98 accord coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Default Safe way to TURBO my 98 accord coupe

hey i own a 98 accord coupe LX and its my only car i've got but i'd like it to be turbocharged. The thing is i use this car everyday and i was told the more u do to the car the more unreliable it becomes... is this true? IF so can anyone suggest a web site or information on a product because i want to purchase one soon.

Thx

Old 01-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Safe way to TURBO my 98 accord coupe

well money. that 2 g's could easily get you a decent turbo that you could drive every day. the safe way to run turbo is at the correct air fuel mixture. if you do a bang up job on your car then you will definately probably most likely fry your motor. i remember you saying that you are new to the whole car tuning thing, a turbo install is not for a novice mechanic, nothing against you or any offense intended, im just trying to be as truthful as possible. im not sure if you could get a reputable shop to install a turbo for 2g's or less either.

but in all reality.... if you studied your *** off about hondas and turbocharging in general for the next three months, and you read every single post on the site about turbo'ing hondas and you had at least two friends who know a **** load about car and turbos, and you had a computer handy to ask us questions when you got hung up, i think you could definately do it. its really not that hard. (to do a 1/2 mbar system). dreams are what make great cars, so definately dont give up, i would just start with baby steps. like an intake, and some hid lights and ****

lightshow

Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 AM

Listen to Lightshow... Good advice there. There are some great kits out there in the $3500 - $2000 range. Turbonetics (jegs.com sells them) offers one (probably going to be $3500) that comes with an ignition and fuel management setting that requires very little tuning. To have it installed will be some more money as most places charge for 8 - 12 hours of labor. With a kit you will be running around 6-8 lbs of boost and as long as the fuel and timing are managed properly (detonation will kill your engine fast), you will have a very reliable car.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:49 AM

You can get a Drag kit for less than $3k. Good kit for low boost (7-8psi). The compression on the F23 is somewhat conservative which is good in reducing the likelyhood of detonation. Never apply full boost for more than 15 sec (cruising doesn't use boost, so full boost for that long would be like a 5th gear pull over 130mph). You should be pretty damn straight at that.