Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

$150 for a key? Has the world gone crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Default $150 for a key? Has the world gone crazy?

My daughter is shopping for a car, so I thought I'd do a little research and hunting around for her. This is the first time I've seriously done this in a long time. I briefly sat in a Yaris last year, but that was just tire-kicking.

Our nephew announced a little while ago that he had to buy another "key" forhis Chrysler 300 that he purchased a couple of years ago. Hepaid over $300 for the thing. He said that the car would absolutely not run without it, even if a new key's tooth pattern matched the old one exactly. He said it was because of the chip inside the key.

So Inow askany salesperson: How much moneyis the key?

I thought that that ournephew'ssituation must have been a fluke, but yesterday we went to a local Honda dealer, looked at a Fit, and I asked my question. I almost had a "fit" when the salesperson sheepishlysaid that the key was "around" $150.

The same was true for Toyota Yaris and Corolla.

Is there any newcar out there nowadaysthat does not require theseintolerably-expensivekeys?

Maybeused is where tolook fora car that does not have one of these ridiculous devices. Our 92's key can be replaced for just a few dollars, but I'd hate to think that it's necesseary to resort to a car of that year. How far backdoes one have to go in order to get a vehicle that uses a regular key like our Accord?

(I wonder. Have automobile insurance rates dropped dramaticallyas a result of these little miracle keys?)

Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: $150 for a key? Has the world gone crazy?

It's the immobilizer for anti-theft; Accordsstartedhavingthataround '98.

There's an ID chip inside the key, & a little antenna around the lock cylinder. When you go to start the car, the ECU checks the electronic ID # of the key. If it's not on the 'APPROVED' list, the engine won't start.

The price probably includes a bit of labor for the dealer to program your car to accept the new key. I think there's room in the memory for 4 keys. There's probably some locksmiths that have the equipment to do this, if you wanna do some price-shopping. Not your average hardware-store-key-counter thing...

ps... You think that's fun? If I happen to lose both keys for my 2001 Saab, the anti-theft computer CANNOT be reprogrammed, even by the dealer. New one is more than $1000.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Tony1M
(I wonder. Have automobile insurance rates dropped dramaticallyas a result of these little miracle keys?)
Haha not a chance. The only thing I can think is it is just simplymore $ in the pocket of the carmakers. I don't think my 2000 LX key has any kind of chip in it. **After seeing JimBlake's post above, maybe my LX does have a chip. When I pull the key out (I think it may do it when I put it in as well, I'll have to check), there is always a little green light with a key on it that flashes a few times. Maybe that has something to do with it?**

Old 05-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yeah and if it has the wireless remote built in, add another $150 to THAT....

That's why we call them Stealerships buddy

Old 05-30-2008, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spdHaha not a chance. The only thing I can think is it is just simplymore $ in the pocket of the carmakers. I don't think my 2000 LX key has any kind of chip in it.
I'd bet yours does, unless being an LX is different. My '98 key has the chip. Just for grins, I had a key made at Home Depot. It'll open the doors, and it'll crank the engine 'til the battery dies. But it won't start. I think it has something to do w/ the fuel pump not being activated.

My question is, do these fancy keys make the car harder to steal? I'd put up w/ a more costly replacement if it meant a theif will be more likely to pass up my car.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake
.................................................. ..
ps... You think that's fun? If I happen to lose both keys for my 2001 Saab, the anti-theft computer CANNOT be reprogrammed, even by the dealer. New one is more than $1000.
Did you know about that before you bought it?

Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 PM

Welcome to the modern world of cars & keys.This has been common for about a decade and some keys cost FOUR TIMES that much!!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm sure car theives these days have ways around that. Just like everything else. If someone really wants to steal your car badly enough, they are going to steal it. I wouldn't bank on it helping out too much

Old 05-30-2008, 03:11 PM

Well, I stumbled onto this place:
http://www.streetkeys.com/default.asp

I don't know if it's a scam, or what, but if it's legit, it takes some of the sting out of these keys - at least for the really expensive ones.

However, even using that place, when all the dust has settled, I don't think you're going to be out of it for much less than a hundred.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Kind of funny semi-related story (not trying to go off topic here but thought you may be interested):
One of the guys in the office I work in has a Volvo S80 (or maybe it's an S40, heck I don't know for sure.) He has been having problems with an intermittent no-start issue for a while and the dealership has been stumped.Today they finallyfigured out what is causing the problem: to get into the office, we have a "fob" on our keychainthat we have to scan outside to unlock the magnetic door locks. The Volvo dealer said the company key fob was messing with the computer in the Volvo causing the no-start issue. Crazy. You know, now I am suspicious of my own. Every now and then, I go to crank my car and it just turns over. After the 2nd or 3rd try it starts right up. Ihavebeen suspecting the ignition switch recall, or cracked MFR solder joints. But now I wonder if it has anyhting to do with my company fob on my keychain?

Quick Reply: $150 for a key? Has the world gone crazy?