Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

2016 Pilot Touring AWD Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default 2016 Pilot Touring AWD Test Drive

Yes I've had it a while (late June) but this week I had the chance to drive it all day/everyday since the wife was in the hospital - at least 150 miles per day. Her illness decided to show it's ugly head and well she spent this week in the hospital, got lucky it was only minor surgery to correct the current issue(s).

Anyway, the test car is the 2016 Pilot Touring AWD - which means it has the ZF 9 speed DCT. Yes I've been following the posts about the 9 speed trans in these.

The bad - I still don't like the low speed action of the trans, just seems "jerky" and acts like a manual trans in the wrong gear - too high at points and too low at others. Like you are crawling along at 10~15 MPH and let off the gas and the nose dives.....next time at low speed (same crawl speed) and all of the sudden things open up and you want to go - can't slam the gas - and the gear the trans is in is too high and it won't go.

From a stop, a low speed take off is like driving a bus with an auto trans - lots of rpm's and seems like almost no movement of the car.....then second kicks in (10~15 mph) and a little better but until 3rd it really doesn't want to go.

Don't get me wrong, if you hammer that thing IT WILL GO.

The good - well I'm not even sure where to start. Like I said if you want it to go all you have to do is put the gas down and it will impress you. Cruise control set at 80 mph and the rpm's are holding right at 2K, which means there is plenty of "go" left in the car.

Comfort in the seats is nothing like I've seen in the other Honda's I had. The leather is nothing like the others either, There is enough adjustments in the seats (don;t even know if it is 8 or 10) that I'm comfortable. Then add that I can program/save my settings so if I use my key it goes to my settings and then when you shut if off it adjusts the seat to let you get out.

The sound system - no where near KHA standards but is just fine for me . I've introduced a few young kids to my kind of music in the last week.

The view and comfort of driving at night is great - even with the fog lights off.

Bottom line, if I had to drive it in stop and roll traffic everyday I would go crazy and hate it. You want something to roll down the highway.....nothing I've ever drove can touch this thing.

Now time to get back to my duty, haven't been on for about a week and way behind on reading/trying to help.

This is "off topic" so my rant/ramble fit best here