Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

2016 Pilot - Paint Defect :)

Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default 2016 Pilot - Paint Defect :)

A bit pissed at Honda right now.

Last Saturday I noticed a "white spot" on the new Pilot's bumper. The spot is on both sides of the bumper in the same exact location. The right/pass side is bigger and easy to see in pic's, the drivers is harder to see in a pic but is there.

Of course I'm pissed as h#**. I already have a case manager with Honda since I'm a "test dummy" for the new model/design. I opened a case with Honda on Saturday afternoon, talked to the dealer on Monday.

Anyway, this morning I take it to the dealer to have them inspect and get back with Honda. Sure enough they state that I'm going to have to have the bumper re-painted......really, had the car for ~4 weeks and less than 3K miles and I have to have the bumper re-painted. My concern is that there is an attachment point at those points on the bumper and there is too much flex causing the issue.

After looking at mine, they inspected the three other 2016 Pilots on the lot (all they had), Guess what, they could see the same issue on two out of the three.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Pilot - Paint Defect :)-paint-defect-right-pass-side-hightlight.jpg  
Old 07-23-2015, 05:52 PM

Wow, Poorman... sorry to hear

I agree with you, from the photo you posted, that does look like 'stress' in the material

Old 07-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Administrator
Talking Hey Buddie:)

That does not look the best...sorry to see that on the vehicle..doesn't anyone take pride any more in the things they make for $22,000 or there of? Doesn't seem too do they?

Angelo

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Pilot - Paint Defect :)-thewave.gif  
Old 07-26-2015, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, I'm kind of putting off the repair. The dealership has already said they will take care of it and is documented with them.

I'm wanting to hear from Honda on what they have to say on the claim I have open with them, they've got abut three or four days left to respond.....they don't want me to have to follow up with them as that will not be a very pretty conversation.

I'm watching and trying to document both sides, the drivers is now almost to the point of being able to be seen in pictures - meaning it is growing in size. Which again goes to me theory that it is a "stress" point. Which is another reason I'm not jumping right away to have the bumper repainted just to have it come back again.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

There's parts drawings on places like Majestic. But not detailed enough. I can't tell if that spot is anywhere close to some attachment point or fasteners for the bumper-skin. That would be interesting if it was.

Parked in the hot sun, then park in the shade. Each time, look to see whether the bumper skin is flexing or kinked in that area. I'm thinking it's difficult to make the paint "stick" when the part underneath the paint is flexing.

Does that spot get unusually hot after driving? I've seen some paints change color with heat, but Honda should know very well how hot it needs to tolerate.

Still, it's for Honda to worry about & figure out. Unless the dealer did some repainting of scratches, I can't see where it would be the dealer's fault. Nice that the dealer is working with you about it.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, I blew up the pictures on majestic as large as I could get them to see if there is "an attachment" point there.....hard to tell.

Even before I saw this I tried finding a service manual....nothing out yet. Helm didn't even have anything.

The dealer is just bing the middle person. They said they will take care of it, on Honda's dime.

I still might go to another dealer and have them take care of it, the one I bought it from is a small one - don't have a body shop on site. Plus they are not very close to me, about an hour drive just to get there. There is a larger one only 15 minutes away and they have a body shop on site.

Time is on my side, so I'm just kind of waiting. Wanting to see if others run into the same thing, so far I've only found one other person that has bought one.