Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

To all of you chemists... MPG Product

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Default To all of you chemists... MPG Product

If you've got 10 minutes to spare, check this website out and lemme know what you think of the product.
http://www.energyusingwater com/
(I am not endorsing thissite AT ALL. Nor am I trying to sellthese. It's just much easier for me to paste a weblink than to explain it)
I could care less about the business end of it. But does it make any sense... chemically or other wise? I couldn't even find the cost to purchase. If its under $300 and increases at least 15% on the highway alone... it would pay for itself real quick for me (I get my 3000mi oil changes done right at 2 months)... so we drive alot.

Just let me know what ya think. My father's tried selling those EnergyCell super magnet things and I noticed ZERO gain from it so... is this a similar fluke?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Default RE: To all of you chemists... MPG Product

You don't have to be a chemist to see this is a bunch of BS. It's your typical snake oil salesman. Just like those Tornado things that you're suppposed to put in your air intake to increase air flow, or those gas suppliments you put into your tank that supposedly increase your MPG.

This is actually quite humorous reading it.

Baking soda as a catalyst with water? no.
Using a mason jar as a vaporizer... no.
Bungee cords as "installation hardware"? no.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

LOL to the bungee cord thing... hahahhaa

Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 AM

I'm pretty interested in HHO systems too. I haven't seen a credible test for either side of the arguement. I'd expect it to help MPG a little.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:35 AM

To everyone, HHO is not a gas, lol. "HHO" is simply a mixture of H2 (hydrogen gas) and O2 (oxygen gas) and would technically be named HHOO or even HOHO is you wanted because both hydrogen and oxygen are diatomic and always travel in pairs if they're not bound to something else. Also, even though they have an electric current breaking up the water molecules, there is nothing preventingthe hydrogen and oxygen from bonding back together and condensing as water once again!

1 quart/1 Litre of water (see photo) may last for MONTHS of driving (900 miles in my experience). How come? That's because this small device forces each Gallon of water to expand into gigantic proportions: 1833 Gallons of combustible gas!!!
While it's true that, yes, 1L of H2O does contain 1,180L of combustible H2 and 589L of O2 over time. If you've ever done DNA gel electrophoresis in biology/genetics, you know that the electrolysis of tap water produces very little hydrogen at the cathode and oxygen at the anode, and that's at a standard 120V, think of how slow that would be at 12V.... that's 10x slower at the same amperage.

It takes21 kJ of energy just to breakone mole ofH-O bonds and there are two moles of them PER mole of water. So that's 42 kJ already subtracted from your net energy just to convert the elements into a formthat a combustion engine can use. Subtract 42 kJ from the 286 kJ/mol available from hydrogen gas and you have 244 kJ of usable energy from one mole of H2 gas or 12,800 kJ per 1L of hydrogen gas. Compare that to the 146,000 kJ available energy from 1L of regular gasoline.

Using a measly 15A power draw to power this whole apparatus, to bring down energy consumption and for overall practicality, only gives us 216W to work with the car on and running at 14.4V. It would take 16.5 hours of driving to convert 1 liter of water to hydrogen and oxygen at a rate of a whopping 13 kJ/min. That's roughly .00165 kJ per injection.

For my car I get about 31 mpg on average, I've gotten 34 before. Theoretically, my car has a range of approx. 530 miles per tank (17.1 gal). That's about 8.2 miles per liter (64.7L) Through a long list on calculations I've narrowed my fuel consumption down to 2.20e-5L/injection. Probably very innaccurate, but very precise indeed! With gasoline's energy content of 146,000 kJ/L, that's approx. 3.21 kJ/injection. With the addition of hydrogen from your wonderful *fuel saving* apparatus at .00165 kJ/injection, that's a whole 5/100% better fuel economy!!!!!

So, in summary, you spend 216W of power from your alternator which is created by the gas you're trying to save to put 153 more watts into your engine? That's a net loss of 63W.

And of course you would need to use platinum electrodes to do all of this since using iron, steel, stainless steel would likely result in you plating or eroding the metal.

Saltwater increases the conductivity of water, so that would help speed things up a tiny bit.

I was bored and thought you guys would like some mindless dimensional analysis and chemistry for your morning. Like I said, probably innaccurate, but very precise! <- Other nerds should understand that little joke.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 AM

The system supposedly improves MPG by helping with atomization by decreasing surface tension. If there were a net energy gain, we'd be running our cars completely off this thing as well as everything else! ..... but then again, breaking the laws of physics might be a bad thing ..... kinda like crossing the streams when you're catching ghosts.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Surface tension of what? I didn't have time to read through it, I just figured it was another one of those run-your-car-on-hydrogen-via-electrolysis gizmos.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM

It is, but the idea is that the hydrogen enriched air allows the gas to atomize better.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM

I don't think .00002197L of STP H2 added to a .5/.53/.55/.58/.59Lcylinder is going to make anything "atomize" better. You're going to have even less hydrogen at higher engine temperature than STP.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm a bit skeptical about these systems too, but until I can fully understand how it can or can't work, it interests me.

Quick Reply: To all of you chemists... MPG Product