Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

big problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:19 AM
Default big problem

ok here's the deal with my 83 supra. . .i took it to the shop for a diagnosis and they told me it had very low compression in all cylinders and that the reason my car was running good was because the timing was advanced (car failed smog because of this). Well heres my question. .is there anything i can do to pass my smog without rebuilding the engine. .i mean the only problem here is that the timing is advanced and i drive this car and to me it runs perfectly fine. At first my car burned off all the oil it had but now it does not burn it after adding an additive. Will engine treatment help restore my compression so that i can set the timing back to normal with the engine still running fine? (i was told that if the timing was set to normal that the engine would not run good because of its low compression) Thanks guys

Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Administrator
Default RE: big problem

Im lost on this one here..hey DesertHonda Or Nasty...what do you think..what about you Mr. Blake???

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

depends on the reason for the compression loss, but theres aditives that will help reseal the rings, but thats only temporary if it even works or if that is even the problem. I think youll have to do the rebuild anyways

Old 04-26-2007, 04:47 PM

yeah i do plan on rebuilding but not at the moment. .i added Restore and noticed some difference, now im just wondering if i can set the timing back to normal with the engine still running good. .the reason why i want the smog done is because my plates are up this month and i use this vehicle as a daily driver now (wanna save my accords miles) BTW my car failed smog due to high timing and NO was high

Old 04-26-2007, 05:16 PM

with the sealant in there you should be able to adjust the timing back to normal and pass smog, the car is going to be a bit sluggish feeling though and eventually even that sealant/addative isn't going to help but for now it should get you through

Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 PM

would it be alright to drop more sealant, lucas oil perhaps? im guessing that thick oil is gonna help me raise my compression. . thanks guys

Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 PM

You don't want it to thick but it should help a little.... I'd just get it to the point where you can pass smog then advance the timing a little bit again and go back to regular oil..... this is all really just a band aid for a situation that isn't going to go away... start saving for a new car or a rebuild...

Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 AM

well i hope this stuff works out, ill let you guys know what happens

Old 04-27-2007, 11:54 PM

well i thought id let you guys know that my timing was set back to normal today and the car is indeed sluggish just like sir said. .it was dropped down 15 degrees so its a difference. My spark plugs were replaced and the tips of all were burned! one of those was washed with oil too[:@] im just helping out my car for now just to get by the smog. ..

Old 04-29-2007, 08:09 AM

great news my car passed smog by flying colors and now ive advanced my timing again and the car runs like a champ

Quick Reply: big problem