Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Car seats!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Default Car seats!

Don't know where else to put this, so I hope someone who can answer sees it.

Have 3 kids - 6,3,1, new laws req boosters up to 80 lbs. (like 10 yrs old!) The baby is moving to a forward facing car seat, while the others are in boosters. We had a Euro style rear-facing infant seat which was slim enough to leave access to the seat belts for the boosters, but now that we are swithcing, all of the seats we have now (not kidding, we've got 4 of them now) block access to the seat belt latches. Its like they are all made for Suburbans - 1 is so wide, my adult tush fits in it comfortably. These were fine as long as there wasn't a seat immediately next to them, but now...
Anyone had this problem, & know a solution or product?
BTW 5th gen wagon

Oh, and if anyone says to trade it for an Odyssey & I'll drive cross country & slug him![:'(]

Old 10-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Car seats!

Look for some seatbelt extensions. Here is a universal one

http://www.wescoperformance.com/seatbelt-extenders.html

If you look, you should be able to find one with buckles that fit your car ..... which brings me to your lack of signature ....

Old 10-03-2007, 04:55 PM

thx for the link, but it seems that they are primarily to allow larger people to fasten their belts as they attach to the lower outboard point in a 3-pt harness. I need to lengthen the inboard point. Have you heard of people pulling the bench & putting these inboard? I wonder about safety, since it is for children....

Old 10-03-2007, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: thaxman

Oh, and if anyone says to trade it for an Odyssey & I'll drive cross country & slug him![:'(]
Nice! I'm a fellow minivan hater myself.

I would have to go with falkore here and say your cheapest fix would be seatbelt extensions.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The straps are all the same material. I wouldn't expect a problem in using them inboard or on the buckles, but like I said earlier, you should look for ones with buckle ends instead of the bolts.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Update: found a Graco seat that is only 16" at the widest point and is pretty high-rise, so that you can get your hands underneath it to access the latch. All the others I saw were huge - some up to 21" wide with inside dimensions up to 13" wide! OMG how fat does a baby have to be to need one of those!? My kid has just begun to lose her Michelin man thighs, but even at her widest at 1 yr old (and she's not the petite one at all), she looks tiny in this seatwhich is only 10" wide inside. I guess those big ones are for McDonald's, Jack in the Box & Carl's Jr/Hardees drive-throughs.