Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

computer tech help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default computer tech help needed

alright so i have this **** called CA etrust whatever firewall anti virus thing installed on my computer. it came with my computer, the subscription ran out, so now whenever a program updates it wont let it access the internet, and it wont let you go into the firewall settings to allow it to because the subscription ran out.

now for the punch line, it wont let me delete, when i try to delete it it says "access denied make sure that the disc is not full or right protected, or that the file is in use" any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Default RE: computer tech help needed

This sounds like a job for sir_nasty. He knows about this kind of thing

Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Assuming you are on XP, when the computer starts to boot up, tap the F8 key just before you see the windows logo, use your arrow keys and select safe mode, boot into safe mode, click on the administrator account, go to control panel, add/remove programs and try to remove it from there, if that doesn't work let me know.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The app is probably still running. Ctrl-Alt-Del and go into the Task Manager > Processes. Find the executable that looks like the program name or matches the executable in the program file (C:\Program Files\Whatever the app is) and end the process. Then try to uninstall.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

well i think i deleted it via sir_nasy's way, but itunes and mozilla still cant access the internet.

and btw i am using xp

any more ideas?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 PM

click start, run, type in "msconfig" click on services, check the box that says "hide all microsoft services", now if any of those services left resemble your old anti-virus uncheck them, click ok (don't restart yet), go to add/remove programs, check that list to make sure you don't see any other firewall programs still installed/running, if present, remove them, if not then, close that and go to windows firewall, turn windows firewall off, restart the computer and try it again. if it still doesn't work after all that then go to start, run, type "cmd" in that propmt type "ipconfig /all" and do a screenshot for me of what it outputs... or just post the ip address, subnet and gateway info.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM

for the record finch13's way would have worked as well.... the only reason I suggested the other route is because I did tech support for long enough that I learned that hard way not everyone gets the right apps all the time, by going into safe mode windows loads ONLY the base/bare minimum stuff it needs so in essence it didn't load the services.

Also, is it just firefox and itunes that don't work? Does Internet explorer work? if so I may have an easier way to do this.....

Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I love ZoneAlarm firewall.

Go to download. com and type ZoneAlarm. This will fix your problem after downloading it.

Get the free edition for XP or w/e OS you are running. It works like magic. I have used it on XP and Vista and havent had any problems. The first few days quite a few boxes will pop up asking if you want this or that to access the net. Then it will learn everything and you'll be good to go!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM

buy a new comp. lol im always the best help with the best ideas

Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

click start, run, type in "msconfig" click on services, check the box that says "hide all microsoft services", now if any of those services left resemble your old anti-virus uncheck them, click ok (don't restart yet), go to add/remove programs, check that list to make sure you don't see any other firewall programs still installed/running, if present, remove them, if not then, close that and go to windows firewall, turn windows firewall off, restart the computer and try it again. if it still doesn't work after all that then go to start, run, type "cmd" in that propmt type "ipconfig /all" and do a screenshot for me of what it outputs... or just post the ip address, subnet and gateway info.
I did this and now itunes and fire fox work

thanks for your help

Quick Reply: computer tech help needed