Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

computer tech help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Default RE: computer tech help needed

well just for some 'extra' help, i would suggest Avast antivirus, just because its free you just have to re-register it once a year and also i have friends that work and worked at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico and they told me that is what they used.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

ok i thought i was done, but guess what there more, they all work fine and good when you first turn the computer on, but after 10min IE, mozilla, itunes cant access the internet. but like aim and yahoo instant messanger still can

this is really messed up, any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM

is your windows firewall turned on?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

is your windows firewall turned on?
no

Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM

start the computer, close any open programs, then make sure firefox is working, if it is, do a ctrl-alt-del and open task manager, expand that pane so you can read everything, write down what's running or press "print screen" on the keyboard, open up microsoft paint (under accessories) and do edit paste, then save that file, wait about 15 minutes, try firefox again, if it's not working do the ctrl-alt-del, print screen, paint step again, now compare the two or post them for me to look at, or pm them to me and find out what service is starting itself, once we know that we'll go disable it...

Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

actually, if the program was written worth a crap, killing it from the process list will NOT work...

a) Services have the ability to restart themselves thanks to the service host implemented in the NT kernel
b) even if you kill a service for good, AV/Firewall/etc type programs usually have at LEAST 1, if not 2 or more helper applications specifically designed to never give the user enough time to kill all the processes, thus allowing it to re-execute the application
c) MSCONFIG is an OK start, but again anything written worth a crap will have better ways of starting up; also it's not advised by any real administrator to use the services panel in MSCONFIG to rely on disabling the correct service (as it hasn't been updated since XP came out, it also doesn't always pull the correct service name, or gives wrong information). Also, you won't know the binary being executed to launch the service, which could lead to more clues about how/what to remove the application causing issues.
d) Probably not a concern for most users, but being a developer for both hardware and software solutions I like to keep my system clean, and all except a successful removal in Safe Mode will leave cruft on your system (un-used services, hacks in the registry, etc). In reality, an uninstall doesn't ensure a clean system either; ESPECIALLY with AV/Firewall software. They like to dig themselves in deep.

I suggest springing $40 and buying Nod32 - by far the best windows-based virus scanning software out there..
And also as suggested, ZoneAlarm for home is great.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 PM

spz, he un-installed it via safemode and that worked, however, with windows firewall off, for the first 10 min. (roughly) the computer is on his firefox etc will work, after that his messenger and a few other internet apps work but firefox will not.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I would just install ZoneAlarm. If it doesnt work, its an easy uninstall.

I have had the exact same problem and it fixed it. AIM would work but the net would not. ZoneAlarm is free, spyware free, and isn't a trial version so it will never expire.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

alright i downloaded it, we'll see if it works

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

well it actually worked, i have been on the internet for over a hour now no problem

I would like to thank you all for your help

esp 19accord97 for the actual fix

and sir nasty for spending hours trying to help me fix it, i owe you two now

Quick Reply: computer tech help needed