Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

do your gas stations do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Default do your gas stations do this?

I noticed that Valero charges an extra 11 cents per gallon to use ccd. I know shell doesn't do this and I really only go to shell and valero. Is this common practice? Freaking 11 cents per gallon sure adds up.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: do your gas stations do this?

Sorry but CCD?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM

credit card or debit card i imgaine. I dont think they do it around where i am. I hope not cause i havent used cash to pay for gas in years

Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 PM

i have a Chevron gas card i use specifically for fill ups and i dont get charged... never tried using a cc or the Chevron card somewhere else (it is of course, a form of a credit card).

Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 PM

It depends on each particular station. These days gas stations some gas stations are barely making more than a few pennies per gallon so when you pay with a card half of thier profit goes to fees. So they raise the price for credit card sales, and make a few extra pennies while they're at it. A lot of my family is in the gas station business and none of them do this because they fear losing volume, which means kickbacks from oil companies are reduced too.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:22 PM

i use to work in a gas station doing maintance the owner told me that they dont really make much honestly...
he told me that they make like 10cents or 15 cent if that....
dats not really alot but then it builds up...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ouch that hurts! I've only used cash for gas when I put $5 or less in, which rarely happens anyways. I've never seen anything like that here in Miami, or anywhere really. I don't know what I would do if they did that while prices are already at 3.35 for 87.[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM

Making 10 cents a gallon today is a long shot, and this goes for branded stations. The independant stations make about 5 or 6 cents a gallon

Old 03-26-2008, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: tcheema

It depends on each particular station. These days gas stations some gas stations are barely making more than a few pennies per gallon so when you pay with a card half of thier profit goes to fees. So they raise the price for credit card sales, and make a few extra pennies while they're at it. A lot of my family is in the gas station business and none of them do this because they fear losing volume, which means kickbacks from oil companies are reduced too.
Word on that volume thing man. Valero lost my business my old mans business my gfs business and a few of my buddies business now that we found that out. Paying an extra 5 cents a gallon for shell looks like a bargain now. In essence 6 cents cheaper since the 11 cent mark up for ccd and I rarely carry more than 10 bucks on me. lol. I'll have to check and see if Boyett does this. Dang, I sound like a tight wad complaining about 6 cents per gallon haha.

Anyone pay super smash brothers on wii? It's awesome and can play online! Woot.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM

It would make sense to have two different prices, depending on whether or not a customer wants to pay cash or use a card. They want to make X profit per gallon, and if they only have one price you can be sure it's set up to be X amount based after the fees CCD's skim off the top.

Today I filled up in Milwaukee for $3.25/gal. at a Shell. The good part is that my two Mastercards are Shell and Marathon. Both knock off 5%, so it really only cost me $3.10/gal. They also rebate 1% on all other purchases. It's a good way to go, if you're going to charge the gas anyway, to get the 5% rebate.

Quick Reply: do your gas stations do this?