Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

HELP - Garage Door Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default HELP - Garage Door Repair

Ok, if anyone can help me....THANKS

So my garage door went "tilt". A "bang", one roller pops out, cable off drum and gets stuck "crooked" about half open.......just great on a rainy holiday weekend.

It is a torsion spring set up - two wound springs on the bar across the top.

Anyway, got to looking into it and I'm pretty sure the cable on the right (viewing from inside) came off the drum somehow and let the door become crooked. This moved the door in such a way that one of the rollers pulled out.

Got the roller back in. Removed cable from the bottom of the door and got it clamped somewhat in place.

I'm stuck on getting the cable back onto the "drum". Can I just get the door closed, remove the set screws on the drum. Then get the cable lined up and back onto the drum...tension the drum just a bit...and then tighten the set screws on the drum and call it a day?

I've tried to look online and everything I see there has them messing with the big torsion springs across the top when replacing the cables. I really don't feel comfortable messing with those torsion springs.

Again, I'm pretty sure I just need to get the cable back onto the drum and I should be good to go.

If you can help I can give more details.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I looked at my garage doors and see a two-part cable rigged to bottom of door through a fixed sheave w/ dead end back to the door end of the door frame. A traveling sheave connects the two-part cable to bottom of tension spring. Tension spring is stretched when door goes down to help lift the door when fully down. This two part cable is completely slack when garage door is fully opened and can be re-rigged in that position.

It sounds like your door may be different. Perhaps following video is similar to yours?

I concur w/ caution on messing w/ torsion spring. If you've seen youtube videos you know the potential problem. A friend of mine was injured when he let spring rotate uncontrolled after releasing the spring accidentally.

good luck

Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, more reading and looking has me going the other way.

OPEN the door all the way and maybe a bit more as that "should" allow slack in the cable(s) enough to re-wind it on the drum.

I might get out there and get it open all the way and see if this makes me feel better about trying to re-wind it. Only issue I'm worried about is of course with the door open there isn't much room on the outside of the door to really get above it where the cable drum is . Then add that of course the Chevelle is parked on that side....makes the room even more of a challenge.

I've convinced myself not to release ANY set screws on the cable drum....and would never....never get near that big spring in the middle. I'm not even sure with the proper tools this little old guy would have enough to handle that thing.

Heck to even get it somewhat "stable" I'm out there with a floor jack and pieces of 2X4. Got it to where it is and used clamps on the rollers in the track to pretty much lock it in place.

I had that cable "snap" a few years ago and had someone come and replace it and I swear when he replaced it he did not mess with those darn springs. It is that little cable on the outside - in your video the little cable he "connects" right at the 11 minute mark.

Thanks for the input. I just need to calm down and not be mad about it being broken, hence why I want to fix it now.....calm down and just call someone tomorrow and see when they can come out and deal with it.

Last edited by poorman212; 07-04-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

There is this video regarding spun cable.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks RB and TX. I did see those either last night or this am.....I remember the one from RB as the guy trashes the door as much as he does show how to repair it.

Ok, where I'm at now. The door is fully open, was able to get the cable "wound" around the drum and have my claw hammer around the "loop" that goes to the bottom roller to holding tension on the cable so it does not "un-wind" while I take a break.....yes I'm getting old and was never big to begin with (max weight in my life, less than 150 lbs and that was fully clothed and wet, since being sick a while back, 135 is all I can get back right now) and working with my hands over my head.....I'm almost worn out.

I am glad the Chevelle is made of "thick metal" because to get where I'm at I've been standing on the right front fender as I can't get a ladder between it and the wall to work on the thing.....I'm sure there are some new scratches in the paint, oh well just another "story" the car has to tell.

My issue now. They way the cable is wound and hanging, I'm about four inches short from where it "clips" into the bottom roller. If I "un-wind" one turn then I'm about the same amount too long

I'm thinking I need to work the clamps on the other side and see if I raise/lower them and let the door up/down some so I can make up the difference on the side that I'm trying to fix...a math/geometry equation kind of thing I just can't get my head around right now.

The wife is upset, she didn't say it but I know she is, as I turned down a shopping trip for "supplies" for our Hawaii trip coming a week from tomorrow.....part of my stress over this dang door....I have a week, calm down and relax but I can't.

Last edited by poorman212; 07-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Poorman survived the door repair, no one got hurt......that is a good day anytime.

Solved my math equation. Needed to move the clamps I had on the door tracks and then used a 2X4 to push up more on the end that was off. Then was able to pull the cable down the final inch or so and got that joker back on.

Manually opened and closed it several times as I inspected and adjusted the tracks. Lubed a few of the rollers while I was messing with the track. Seems to be pretty smooth in moving and does not require much effort at all to open or close it....it is a solid wood 16x7 door so it is pretty heavy.

I'm a little worried as the pin that holds the cable to the door on the side I was working on seems to want to back out. I can fully seat it and after a few "open/close" cycles it backs out a little - 1/8 inch. There isn't anything that holds it in, no cotter pin or anything like that, so I'm a bit worried it is going to back out enough to let go of the cable.

Haven't been brave enough to hook it back up to and plug in the garage door opener. Again I'm worried that pin will work its way out and let go of the cable. Might mess with it more this afternoon.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:36 AM

I had been looking into this issue and found a few blogs that may help you.
http://www.garagedoorrepair123.com/h...ge-door-cable/
3 Essential Garage Door Repair Tips | Heritage Home Design
How to Replace Your Garage Door Cables | Garage Door Nation
i hope these may come useful to you and help you in getting the door repaired. All the best!