Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I sat in a Nissan Cube ............

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Default I sat in a Nissan Cube ............

and I was amazed by the amount of interior room. I'm 6'6" tall, have a 38" inseam and I had adequate leg room and tons of head room. You can almost fly a kite in the thing. (I believe that even a 7-footer would have plenty of head room.)

The thing has far more interior (passenger) space that the vast majority of vehicles - even vehicles that have exterior dimensions far bigger than this one. (For example, a Hummer is cramped compared to the Cube.)

The seating position is more or less upright and there is not much console, so the driver's right knee can swing out to the right, if desired. That is a rarity nowadays, and a plus, IMO.

Rear passengers will have adequate, but not luxurious, accomodations, but they too will have more than plenty of head room.

Luggage space behind the rear seat is adequate with seats in normal position, but, with rear seats folded forward and down, there's a ton of room back there.

I'm not sure if the rear seats are removable, but, if they are, I'm pretty sure one could put a stardard size washer or dryer in there, or 6-month's worth of groceries, or 15 or 20 golf bags.

We didn't get to go for a test drive, so I don't know how the thing handles or performs, but, nonetheless, I would recommend that anyone looking for a utilitarian, all-around-comfortable vehicle should check out the Cube.

If our Accord were not in such good condition, the Cube would certainly be near the top of the list of potential replacement vehicles.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm 6'4" and was surprised how much room the fit has. I just wouldn't be caught dead driving a fit. Only problems with the cube is it's pretty hideous and it's a nisssan LOL.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:28 PM

I don't fit in a fit. The cube has substantially more room.

Are Nissan vehicles not reliable? (BTW, the Cube is made in Japan. That means something, at least to me.)

Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I really don't know about the reliability, they do seem to be relatively reliable. It's just how they try to doll the interior up with cheap parts. All of the nissan and infinitys just feel so cheap inside, I just personally dislike the entire nissan brand.

I don't remember how the leg room was, but there was plenty of head room even for someone significantly taller than me in the fit. But that was more than two years ago, so god knows what I'm remembering LOL. I wasn't even remotely interested in the car. They had just came out and my dealer friend wanted to show me how much room it had. Was around the time I got my accord.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
It's just how they try to doll the interior up with cheap parts. All of the nissan and infinitys just feel so cheap inside, ..........................
I know what you mean about cheap parts, and this practice certainly isn't isolated at Nissan. A friend of ours just bought a Toyota Corolla (made in Ontario) and the dash on it is truly pathetic. Our 92 Accord's padded-vinyl dash (still in perfect condition) is luxurious by comparison. Same with the Cube. Come to think of it, just about every interior trim and upholstery part on our car is better than most new-car stuff. That's one of the big reasons why we're still driving our roomy '92.

The only car that's really turned my head (and my crank) is an 01 Lexus LS430 that we drove a few weeks ago. Now, the interior on that car is in another world, entirely, but the headroom in the Cube is better!

(The irony is that the price of the new Cube, with the CVT option, is more than that used-but-pristine Lexus sold for. Gee, I wonder if the Cube would drive as well as that 430?)

Old 06-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Now, only if they would work on the exterior...

Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Don't get me wrong. I think the Cube is pretty ugly, too, but Nissan is apparently not the only manufacturer who thinks square is beautiful. I think it is the inherent utility of the square shape that may make it successful.

Nissan Cube (front leg room 42.4"; head room 42.6"; length 146.9")
Name:  CUbe1.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  19.9 KB

"Stretch Cube" (Ford Flex. front leg room 40.8"; head room 41.8"; length 201.8")
Name:  CubeFlex.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  13.9 KB

(FWIW, our '92 Accord LX has 42.9" front leg room and is 185.2" long.)

Last edited by Tony1M; 06-08-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: more interior information