Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Just had to vent

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Just had to vent

Our dryer is about 16 years old is not older...I always have remebered that thing. Its noisy, and has a few problems but my dad always can fix it.
But as far as going to get new apliances...always always read reviews an d such before. Let yourself have a few weeks to do research. When we got a new washer we looked at all sorts and found that many by maytag, whirlpool, and kennmore were pretty much junk. Hence, we went with LG and have had zero problems so far.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM

The service guy was in our house for a grand total of 5 minutes. He listened to what we had to say, opened the door briefly, and declared "I'll replace everything".

He saysthe temperature in the refrig and freezer are controlled by several thermistors and a central "computer". Since the thing is still under warranty, rather than trouble-shoot anything, he'll replace anything that might possibly be faulty -except for the compressor, that is.

He says he should have the parts by Friday and may be able to install them the same day, but more likely next Monday.

Luckily, the thing still seems to be operating normally, so we hope it stays that way until the work is done.

If there is a good part to this, it is that I will be watching the guy like a hawk as he does the job. That way I'll be able to do the job myself when all these new parts fail just after the warranty expires.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 AM

They make new stuff like this so you will have to go back to them to get it fixed. They used to make them simple enough for the consumers to fix it themselves, but now that alot of people need jobs so they give people "repairman" jobs. They do that for money. They could easily make one that would never break(or atleast work for 25-30 years or more) but that would only mean by the time everyone got one, the company won't get very much money for a long time...poor refridgerator guy/company lol

So really if there was a company that made everything they sell perfect they would go out of business, meanwhile the company that makes something that'll break in a year or two, whether itis a part or the whole thing, is still in business and bringing in some money

That is why your 1970's car lasts a lifetime and your 2005 car has a better chance of breaking down on you and is so complex inside that if you broke down on the side of the road and didn't have your cell phone, you would have a long walk to do...

Old 09-06-2007, 01:02 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Maybe the car companies invented the cell phone so that when their car breaks down you call the towman to get the car towed to the shop and then the shop buys their parts from the manufactor so they get the money back from inventing the cell phone?

But I agree with the whole sometimes companies make stuff to break. For example, light bulbs. They choose smalley filaments so they burn up and have to be replaced. Thats why that one light bulb in that one firestation has been on for like 80-100 years straight. They even have a webcam watching it 24/7. It was because the company had a manufactoring error causing the filament to be waaay to thick, hence why it hasnt burned out.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

If there is a good part to this, it is that I will be watching the guy like a hawk as he does the job. That way I'll be able to do the job myself when all these new parts fail just after the warranty expires.
Haha! I was going to mention this if you hadn't said it. You should whip out a video camera and tape the repairs! I wonder how he would react to that!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Haha! I was going to mention this if you hadn't said it. You should whip out a video camera and tape the repairs! I wonder how he would react to that!
Last night my wife and I were discussing where to locate, and how to conceal, our nice video camera! The problemwill bethat he will likely be right in front of the refer as he works on it, blocking the camera's view, but we'll try to figure out a workaround.

Come to think of it, I'll bet some "how to fix" videos for all kinds of products - appliances, in particular -would sell like hotcakes. They would add an important dimension to service manuals.

(Maybe they're already for sale and I dont't even know it. Certainly possible, so maybe I should get my thumb out and see if there's one out their for our gen Accord. If one picture is worth a thousand words, a good video has to be worth at least a million.)

Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 AM

That replace vs. repair mentaility is weird to me.... I understand why they do it but it's still strange to think that a fridge has a problem but why troubleshoot it when you can just replace everything that may be wrong and toss out a handfull of fully working parts to save 2 hours of labor.... I think that's why extended warranties are becoming more popular...

As for my appliances they are coming with the house (included in the mortgage) so I'm not going to complain but if I have a problem with them I'm going to be upset since I've got a simple set of mismatched washer/dryer right now that I can repair in an hour. If this new stuff breaks you're SOL until someone shows up...

Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM

If one picture is worth a thousand words, a good video has to be worth at least a million.)
Right on.
I have actually seen a video for sale on ebay I thought might be interesting. It is supposed to be a video on "how to rebuid a Honda VTEC engine." I just searched ebay but I couldn't find it. I wonder if it was worth a crap.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

SN: I think that the rationalle behind replacing everything is that since the warrantee covers everything, Tony won't have to pay anyway. The tech will already have the fridge apart and this way he can claim all of these repairs for the manufacturer to reimburse him for. If it's like auto repairs, there is a time allowance for each part. So this way, the tech can make more money by doing less work.

I'd let him do it and take the new parts. The manufacturer will have to pay more than they should and the tech is kinda scamming them, but the manufacturer's inferior parts are the reason that the tech is there in the first place.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM

I was speaking more to why a company would allow it. If I were a tech I'd probably do the same thing, it'd save me time/money in the long run it does however cost these companies more money.

And tony, I read the line " Last night my wife and I were discussing where to locate, and how to conceal, our nice video camera! " before reading anything else in your post and I must say that it came accross much differently than you ment it.... *L*

Quick Reply: Just had to vent