Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Natural gas furnace recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Default Natural gas furnace recommendations

My wife and I are considering replacing our 36-year-old Lennox natural-gas, natural-draft, super-simple furnace, so I have come here seeking recommendations.

During the 13 years that we have owned our present furnace, I have had to oil the fan motor, replace the fan bearings 12 years ago, clean the burners once, and that's it. I did all this myself and it was cheap and simple to do.

To put it bluntly, the things I've read from new-furnace owners on various forums devoted to furnaces is troubling, to say the least. Those forums are dominated and directed by furnace business people who have a financial stake in promoting the particular brand that they sell, so I thought I'd ask people here on the HAF what their experience has been with their relatively new natural gas furnace.

I'd like to limit the discussion to natural gas furnaces that owners have had for at least FIVE YEARS and the longer the better. (But whatever furnace we get, it still must be in production.)

I would also like to restrict the discussion only to OWNERS of natural gas furnaces. To clarify further, I DO NOT want to hear from anyone in the business of selling or repairing furnaces, even if they own a natural gas furnace. (After all, is a repair person going to recommend an ultra-reliable furnace that, if everyone were to purchase it, he'd go out of business for lack of work?)

I'd like the following information from owners.

1. Make and model number.

2. What have you had to have done to your furnace, if anything, and what did it cost? Have you had to have the same repair more than once?

3. If you had it all to do over again, would you get the same furnace?

Thanks for the information.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:14 PM

1)- On this point you won't need somebody else model number, because this issue will be set according to the size of your house. About brand, in my house we have been using Goodman for 10 years and the furnance still working greatly.

2)- No repairs to the furnance at all. Only to the AC (outside) which capacitor has been replaced twice. No big deal, it costs 8 bucks at any AC retail store.

3)- Actually yes, I will use the same brand because is cheap and good.

My best wishes with your decision.