Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Pretty Huge Car Decision.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Default Pretty Huge Car Decision.

Hey HAF.
I introduced myself a couple of months back with my 02 black Accord, and how I had concerns of the "coolness" factor. Since, I've enjoyed my Accord, and it does well for point A to point B. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the styling, but eh. It gets a solid 23mpg city which I like, but the 4cyl lacks any real feeling of power or torque and I dont feel like a driver should in his car.
Recently my dad gave me the opportunity to switch cars with him. He has an '01 Nissan Xterra, about 15k more miles than my accord. It's black, a standard vs. my automatic, and a v6 vs. my 4. More importantly, his is a rugged SUV with presence and poise and unique styling whereas mine is a run-of-the-mill dime a dozen.
So I'm wondering if it would be worth it to lose about 8 MPG (more on the highway, of which I drive little) and the reliability and easy-to-drive factors of my Honda to trade for a gas guzzling v6 with rugged styling more fitting to my teenage adventurous personality, as the truck was aimed for. I feel in control with the standard, it requires more out of me to drive, and really seems to be more teenager than the accord. But the accord is exactly it--a no frills, reliable, affordable, efficient machine.
I'm wondering if the switch would be naive, or downright stupid, or if it would be worth it. Are there other factors to take into account? How much could I improve the look of my accord on a small budget?

Thanks HAF.
ElementK

Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Pretty Huge Car Decision.

Only You can make that kind of decision about something you have to live with..think it over and I'm sure you will pick what You Think is best for you!

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: ElementK
It gets a solid 23mpg city which I like, but the 4cyl lacks any real feeling of power or torque and I dont feel like a driver should in his car.

Thanks HAF.
ElementK
Have you tried to reving it past 4k RPM? I doubt the Xterra gives you a sense that it has that much more power. It has 170hp/200 torque, but it close to 1000lbs heavier if its the 4WD version.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:56 AM

Well, the fact that I have to fight a standard on a heavy truck as well as the fact that I'm up high in a larger vehicle makes me feel like it has more power. Revving my accord over 4 just tends to burn gas and leave me sad--speed is good but there's no excitement in getting there. The Xtrerra has to fight for it.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I had no idea the Xterra came in a standard! When you said that I was thinking truck for some reason...IF it were me I'd keep the Honda. Im not a big fan of the styling on the Xterra's....

You know what, Id drive the Xterra around for a week or 2 and see what you think after that...You'll see how much you spend in gas, and how you like it in traffic and all the other scenarios.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:10 AM

More cylinders= More power= More gas burned= More money spent

It's up to you my friend....

Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 AM

Look for a 5 spd Accord,then sell the automatic Accord. 5 spd = 100% more fun. More power goes to the ground, and gas mileage is way better (I get 28 MPG city driving in my 2000 LX)

Old 11-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

(I get 28 MPG city driving in my 2000 LX)
He'd get 32, but his hairy *** crack causes aerodynamic drag and he doesn't want to put it away ...... hawr!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 PM

That's right ^. Plus there is usually a dead hooker in my trunk[sm=ts.gif]

Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Well I don't really have the luxury. I could TRY selling the Accord, but I got it from an auction. I can't personally get in, I have to go in with my buddy's Dad who's a licensed dealer. Plus I think it'd be bitchy to already sell the car I just got. I'm not sure, the accord driving experience with a 4cyl auto hasn't been my favorite.

Quick Reply: Pretty Huge Car Decision.