Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

question about bosch spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Default question about bosch spark plugs

Against my recommendations, my girlfriend had bosch spark plugs put on her civic. I've read so many bad things about bosch spark plugs and our accords, does the same hold true for civics? If her engine has become louder, after installing bosch plugs, is that related to the spark plugs or possibly something else?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: question about bosch spark plugs

hmmmm ..... I've never had problems with Bosch plugs, but also have not had them on a Honda. If they're no good for the accord engine, I'd imagine the same holds true for a Civic. what is the problem with the plug? I know that platinum is no good for NOS, but otherwise I haven't heard negatives about them.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM

a Honda is a Honda. i recommend sticking with the tried and true NGK brand. they come stock for a reason.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:21 PM

I thought that Denso's are stock?!?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:27 PM

sir_nasty once told a story of a Honda that waspretty screwed by Bosch plugs. If I remember correctly they had to replace quite a few more parts than just the plugs to fix it. I think it may have been a Civic, but I don't remember.
Hondas do not like Bosch plugs. All you need to change them is a plug socket, an extention for your socket wrench and some anti-seize compound. Oh yeah, and some NGK (preferably) plugs. I bought a cheap torque wrench ($10 - beam type, don't buy a cheap click type)at autozone so I could be sure I torqued to spec. I have Denso's in my '95 right now cause nobody around had NGK in stock and I didn't feel like waiting for them to ship if I ordered online.
If I were you, I'd replace those Bosch plugs ASAP.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

I thought that Denso's are stock?!?
Nope...NGK's. I think the 98 & newer models came stock with NGK double plats. Check out www.sparkplugs.com. They used to tell you what the OEM plugs were. I'm not sure if they still do.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:34 PM

I stand corrected. According to that site you're correct ...... I'm still going to stay with iridiums though because I plan to put a wet spray in my car ..... gonna have to change to a colder plug though.

Also, if he has coil on plug ignition, he is going to need an allen wrench set.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 PM

That thing should be pretty quick with spray. Just watch your tranny![sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 09-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Bosch plugs run a different resistance than NGK's, it's enough of a difference that it can cause your coil to overheat and burnout. I've personally seen it happen more than once to the same car and heard of it happening a few times on here.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I know how to change spark plugs. I've done them on my dads mustang and my car. She doesn't trust me and had a mechanic do it and they put bosch. She doesn't seem to believe me that they are bad even after letting her read what you all typed in here and in previous threads. Oh well. Thanks guys for trying to help me convince her. We will ask another mechanic today and see what he thinks....silly girls.....

Quick Reply: question about bosch spark plugs