Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Really? They just have to be kidding? Please no more snow.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

That's awesome. My wife does race-walking & she did 1400 miles last year. Including one full marathon & 7 half marathons. I didn't even get 1000 on the bike, but I'm at work during the week.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
That's awesome. My wife does race-walking & she did 1400 miles last year. Including one full marathon & 7 half marathons. I didn't even get 1000 on the bike, but I'm at work during the week.
Kudos to your wife; 1,400 miles at a race walk pace is a lot of hard work.

As for being at work during the week, yeah, me too, but then again, my company has a running team which I help lead; they have road bike and mountain bike teams as well. The good news is that, unless a meeting is scheduled or a critical issue is pending, managers tend to turn a blind eye to folks participating in the teams at lunch.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member

You guys deserve a lot of credit, a few of you guys are around my age, I turned 57 in December.
I used to ride the Mountain Bike in the snowy weather, but the past few years my hands/wrists seem to cramp up a lot if I ride during the cold.
I should be used to the Buffalo weather, but I have been spoiled the past 6-8 years where the El Nino made us get a few wicked storms, but 50 degrees in between.
Nice picture of the lake run Shipo.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of pace are you running at Shipo? And what is the farthest you have ran at one time?

I know some people that were into those ultra marathons of 100 miles or whatever, of course they were less than half your age.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by live2rice
What kind of pace are you running at Shipo? And what is the farthest you have ran at one time?

I know some people that were into those ultra marathons of 100 miles or whatever, of course they were less than half your age.
Back in 1979 I ran a marathon in 2:50 something, and afterwards I said, "Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt, ain't doin' it again." Then I got home and found out while I'd been running my race my 17-year old brother had been killed in a motorcycle accident. Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to run another one.

Fast forward to current times, the furthest I've run at one time was 17 miles, and I did that back in early December. That said, back in mid-September I got a poorly worded E-Mail from the running club at work which sounded like the son of a co-worker needed a replacement runner for his 6-person relay team for a 36 mile relay. I said to myself, "Hey, I can run 6-miles, I'll be happy to help out."

When the team picked me up two days later I found out I'd volunteered to be part of a 6-person "Ultra" relay team for the 2013 Reach the Beach - New Hampshire event, which was measured at just over 205 miles (from Cannon mountain to Hampton Beach). As I was the oldest on the team (by 25 years) they took pity on me and gave me one of the shorter sets of legs; even still, my 6 legs totaled 32.8 miles, that and I had over 2,200 feet of climbing to do. The good news was that, not only did I finish my assigned legs, I wasn't the slowest on the team.

Had I really understood what I had been signing up for there is no way I would have done it; not that I've done it, I cannot wait to do it again. Go figure.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

No way my 23 year old butt could do that. I kinda want to do one of those tough mudders, but from what I have seen there are way too many people that do them, don't really want to wait in line at each event.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not Cam's age, I'm more like Shipo & Mystic (57).

My wife did the Cleveland marathon back in her 20s, then we had a couple kids... She got back into "running" by race-walking instead. All her half-marathons are like 2:55 to 3:03 so she's not at the front of the pack. She talked herself into another full marathon at the Hatfield & McCoy's last year. Now she says only halfs because they are fun and she can still function an hour after the race.

My daughters did a "farm-athalon" last year, that was a hoot. Kinda like a mudder, but not quite so extreme & it was on a farm. (you think that's MUD?? OK we'll let you go with that...)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by live2rice
No way my 23 year old butt could do that. I kinda want to do one of those tough mudders, but from what I have seen there are way too many people that do them, don't really want to wait in line at each event.
Funny thing, I never thought I could do it either; then I accidently volunteered to do it and had a blast. Go figure.

By the way, I forgot to answer your question on pacing. I've been subscribing to the LSD (Long Slow Distance) training methodology to avoid getting injured, so I deliberately upped my training mileage and slowed things down a bit; I typically train between a nine and ten minute pace depending upon the trail conditions and such.

As for my racing times; they're changing so fast it's kind of hard to tell. My last 5K was in September and I ran it at about a 7:30 pace, my next race in early October was a mountainous 3.66 mile event which I also ran at a 7:30 pace. I then competed in a 10K on Thanksgiving, and I finshed that race at only a slightly slower 7:40 pace. I didn't run any races in December, however, on New Year's day I ran my first timed 1-mile event since 1975; my goal was to break 7:00, and instead I turned in a 5:50! Not too shabby for a (not as) fat (as I used to be) old man.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

My wife did the Cleveland marathon back in her 20s, then we had a couple kids... She got back into "running" by race-walking instead. All her half-marathons are like 2:55 to 3:03 so she's not at the front of the pack. She talked herself into another full marathon at the Hatfield & McCoy's last year. Now she says only halfs because they are fun and she can still function an hour after the race.
To use New England vernacular, your wife is "Wicked Smart!" While I've never done a half marathon (I'm signed up to do my first in September), I truly understand her comment about functioning after a half versus a full marathon.

Men's health did an interesting article last year where they concluded that the healthiest thing one can do is to train for a marathon and NOT race any marathons. I whole-heartedly subscribe to that notion.

My daughters did a "farm-athalon" last year, that was a hoot. Kinda like a mudder, but not quite so extreme & it was on a farm. (you think that's MUD?? OK we'll let you go with that...)
I live on a 70-acre horse farm and tend to the 12 horses three days per week, so I know all about that kind of MUD.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong but if it is below 30, I'm staying inside.....whimp, yes.

What you folks are doing/can do is great and makes me feel lazy.

I'm worried about a ~3 1/2 hour drive to Roanoke VA tomorrow am, here they are predicting ~2 inches of snow with some ice. And going north it can only get worse. First meeting at the new owners home office....eek. Hope I don't screw up. And yes the ~2 inches of snow is a laugh to most of you

Quick Reply: Really? They just have to be kidding? Please no more snow.