Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

things that annoy you in class (college / hs)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: things that annoy you in class (college / hs)

ORIGINAL: smaglik

i am done arguing this with you. let me know your thoughts in 5-10 years. you have a lot of growing up to do.
Well that sure sounds professional. I am glad to know, you can't even have a discussion on an internet forum. Wonder what it is like in person...

Or like half the other adults, when they realize that 2 situations are the same they never can acknowledge it.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

grow up dude. you're behavior is typical of a teenager.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I dont really know what behavior I am behaving like, I simply wanted to know the difference in the two specified situations.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Oh yeah, and about being tardy (I just read it in an above post) many of my college teachers simply locked the door after class had been going on for 5 minutes or so. I had one horrible b**** that would lock the door 1 minute after it was time for class to start. It usually prevented people from being late though.

Locked the door? Holy cow! I hope those were only one hour classes. Man that would suck if you had to go wee wee and couldn't get back in for the lecture. Yikes.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM

I think any cell phone ringage in class should warrant a chastisement for offense #1, and to be kicked out of the class for offense #2. I do not think students should text in class either. It is totally rude. This is all about courtesy and prefessionalism. Don't be late, pay attention, etc.. Once you become a senior in college you'll understand. I had teachers that had no attendance policy when I was a freshman. Guess what? Many of their students would up dropping out of college all together becuase they never came to class &got used to being lazy (and failed multiple classes.) Some teachers want to help, others want to "weed out" the students that are not likely to make it in college. the teachers that have an attendance policy are those that want to help. the ones that have no attendance policy whatsoever are "weed out" teachers. Just something I learned from my college experience.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Gentlemen .... relax a bit. I understand both of your points and this is getting to be a battle of extremes which I don't think either of you are. Smag, Crackberries have become a necessary evil in the professional workplace and though annoying, executives text/email under meeting tables all of the time. Is this polite? Of course not, but if the topic of the meeting at the time does not involve that particular person, it's not a big deal and may be very productive for him. If the kid that's texting asks a question, tell him that you only answer students that give their undevided attention and he's been texting on his phone instead of paying attention. If after that, there is more than a word or 2 between him and the students around him, ask him to leave on the basis of disrupting class.

19A97: The classroom is where you learn to be a professional. True that the consequences are not as severe as a job interview or a client or boss meeting, but you have to respect your professor and the rest of the class. At the end of the day, the professor is in charge and his rules are the law in that room. This is the same as how everyone must listen to the captain of a ship without question or the commanding officer in the military.

I know both sides of the coin and the "happy" medium is a compromise. Compromise dictates that noone gets everything that they want, but both parties are mainly satisfied.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM

I agree. A compromise is always necessary. The teachers I liked the most usually had somewhat of an attendance policy, but I never remembered because i rarely ever missed their classes. In those classes if you missed a day you missed crucial information that you would be tested on anyway so people rarely missed those, unless they didn't care about getting a crappy grade.

Falkore is right about executives with the crackberry's too. The frickin CEO of my company is on his all the time. I get so annoyed when he answers it or plays with it if I am out eating with him at a nice restaraunt.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Well that sure sounds professional. I am glad to know, you can't even have a discussion on an internet forum. Wonder what it is like in person...

Or like half the other adults, when they realize that 2 situations are the same they never can acknowledge it.
responding to your personal comment...

I am professional and courteous in person. I do not take issue with people's behavior in front of other persons. I do not answer my cell phone when they are talking to me. I do not text when being addressed by someone.

You want me to address your dinner comparison? Fine, I shall address it. Of course it would be foolish to dress up for dinner at home. That is completely different than going to a fine dining restaurant. That comparison is apples and oranges.

The issue here is that you should have the same professional, courteous behavior whether you are in class, ordering something at a fast food place, interviewing for a job, etc. Comparing your behavior from situation A to situation B SHOULD be apples to apple. Lacking this courtesy beacuse it isnt convenient for you, because you find the class boring, you'd rather be doing something else, or you really have to have that conversation with your buddy while you're ordering subway and the clerk and everyone else behind you is waiting in line...that's just not acceptable. If you choose to conduct yourself that way, that is your perogative. Good luck. You are the one making an *** of yourself, not me.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:23 PM

Hey smag, is the AutoCAD class your teaching an entry level engineering CAD course or is it advanced? I took an entry level one as I started my college adventure as a Mechanical Engineering major. I thought the CAD class was frickin cool!
You should have them design something on the computer that looks funny. Like some peice of equipment or architecturethat faintly looks similar to a fallice, or something of that nature.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 PM

wow...that is classy. i will be teaching it next semester. I was just covering this week. They may do something bowling related, but more likely transportation. Need to swing them in my direction!

Quick Reply: things that annoy you in class (college / hs)