Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Tinted Windows Law

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 PM
laksh99
Unregistered
Default Tinted Windows Law

Hi,

I bought a 2007 Honda Accord from a dealer in Chicago 2 days back. The car had tinted windows. The sales person mentioned it as a big plus. I bought the car and today found out that in IL it is not legal to have tinted windows on the driver and passenger doors in the front.

The dealer has been avoiding my calls. Any suggestions? Is changing the windows the only option?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Default RE: Tinted Windows Law

Number one, cars that are factory never come with tints.

Number two, technically that is alaw suit on your hands because if you can prove that the dealer did in fact sell you the car with tints, and you recieved a ticket,you can take them to court(but the dealer would just be liable for paying for the ticket so don't get greedy). Because by law,NO DEALER is permitted to sell a vehicle with tints no matter what year or model.

Number three, just remove the tinting take a picture and go to court. they should dismiss it.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^^ totally wrong. Factory tints are never hat dark, but almost all cars have tint to reflect most of the UV rays.

On a used car, the bill of sale almost always states in black and white that the buyer accepts the car "as is."

Dealers are supposed to make the car legal before it leaves the lot, but they are not liable because of the above.

There is no lawsuit for window tint. Peel it off and get the residue off with rubbing alcohol. Nothing else works, so don't waste time. I've tried lighter fluid, windex, gasoline .... and all that works is simple rubbing alcohol.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 AM

Almost every car has tinted windows from the factory, it's not dark but it's there. No dealer can sell a car with tint? Which planet is this on????
If it were me I would continue attempting to reach the dealer and have them remove it.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM

chill out guys. i thought he meant like 30 percent tints or something. not factory tints. factory tints are not even noticeable..

Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 PM

Wisconsin has the same law; nothing allowed on the front two windows.

Unless you have a thing about obeying every law to the letter, I say drive it as is. Half the cops I know have tints on their own cars. They don't have time to bother with window tints, but will if they pull someone over and they're a jerk. But if you don't do anything to attract attention to yourself, the odds are 1 in a million it'll ever be an issue.

Having tinted windows all the way around, minus the two fronts, ruins the looks IMO.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 AM

I really wouldnt worry about it if i were u man. I live in IL too and have tints on my coupe and the cops havent done anything about it. It makes your car look way nicer too. My gf dad is a cop and he said most cops wont even waste their time on tints and if they do they wont give you a ticket they just will make you take off the tints in front of them.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

In NJ, I got 3 warnings and 2 tickets before I peeled the fronts.