Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Trans questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Trans questions

Having read how bad the AT is on the 98 and newer Accords, what did Honda change in them between 97 and 98? Is it possible to use the earlier (up to 97) trans in a later car(98-02)? Or is there that much of a difference?

Also, is it possible to replace a 5 speed manual with a 6 speed? Or does the engine turn the wrong way for that to happen?
Sorry for the questions, but after looking around thru some of the forums (was bored and stuck inside while it's snowing) a couple of questions ran thru my mind (the MT questions). But then after reading Live2Rice's posts, I'm wondering how bad the AT really is, and if there's anything that can be done about it, like using an earlier model for example.
Thanks.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Beginning in 1998, the auto transmission is more electronically controlled. It no longer has a physical cable from the throttle to the transmission - that function is done by software in the PCM.

Swapping a 5-speed for a 6-speed gets complicated depending on the year. Can't just say "98 & newer". Besides, that's a big job & you have to look at it like a hobby rather than an inexpensive alternative to buying a different car.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Beginning in 1998, the auto transmission is more electronically controlled. It no longer has a physical cable from the throttle to the transmission - that function is done by software in the PCM.

Swapping a 5-speed for a 6-speed gets complicated depending on the year. Can't just say "98 & newer". Besides, that's a big job & you have to look at it like a hobby rather than an inexpensive alternative to buying a different car.
Thanks Jim. I had no idea on the up to 97 AT, as I don't have one of those, but what you're saying does make sense, as every other manufacturer had/has used more and more electronics in their own products. So what can one do besides a trans flush to help get more life out of the 98-02 trans? Just asking, as it's already a high mileage trans that we have (235K), and I don't have any history on it. The car did appear to be well maintained when we bought it back in 2014.

Yeah, I browsed a couple of forums and never saw anyone asking about putting a 6 speed in to replace a 5 speed (or an upgrade of the 5 speed) in an 02 or earlier car. I figured it had to do more with engine rotation in the later cars, as the 02 and earlier model engines run "backwards" compared to the later cars. This is something that doesn't happen with Toyotas (like my winter beater), as you can put a 6 speed into a 90 model car if you wanted to (has been done and even has a write up with pictures), or other makes.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

If Honda had continued the same architecture of the F-series engines, and created a new 6-speed gearbox to fit newer cars, then they might swap.

Instead, they did a complete redesign of the 4-cyl engine (K-series) which not only spins the other way, but it has a timing chain & other good stuff.

What I heard (probably just a myth) is that Honda's heritage in motorcycles is what led them to have the engines spinning the other way.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If Honda had continued the same architecture of the F-series engines, and created a new 6-speed gearbox to fit newer cars, then they might swap.

Instead, they did a complete redesign of the 4-cyl engine (K-series) which not only spins the other way, but it has a timing chain & other good stuff.

What I heard (probably just a myth) is that Honda's heritage in motorcycles is what led them to have the engines spinning the other way.
`
Yeah, I kind of figured it was something like that. Like I've said before I'm still trying to learn about these cars, as I've got 3 here, and my son and his wife have a couple (2 Civics and a Pilot (hers)). As it is, I'm still working my way around the "F" engines since I have an F-22B non-VTECH, and 2 F-23A's (both VTECH). As it is, both the 99 and the 00 are ULEV cars, even though the 99 was built in Japan, while the 00 was built in Ohio. I do think that Honda built their business on the motorcycle, and then started building cars while making refinements on both products. I'm sure both share some bits and pieces thru the years, as Honda along with other Japanese makers tried to use "common parts" whenever possible. Detroit finally figured this out (20+ years later).