Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Warning: Those of you in MN, ND, SD, and WI do not use the following company

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Warning: Those of you in MN, ND, SD, and WI do not use the following company

Kennedy Transmission

On Janurary 11th, 2006 I picked up my '98 accord from the transmisson shop that is closest to my house.

For the last 5+ months I have had nothing but trouble with the shifting of the rebuilt transmission in the car. Probems range from hard reverse (does this fairly consistantly), 2nd gear hanging up on upshift (problem solved I think), 3rd-4th gear shift slamming when under light throttle loads (not solved yet).

Other problems include starting off slowly until about 1500 RPM when accelleration picks up (most noticeable under WOT) It's almost like slipping but it isn't it's more like something is partially engaging inside the transmission up to that point and then fully engages and car accellerates a little quicker) WOT shifts are cause excessive movement in drive train (it isn't the mounts as I had them inspected several times since then)

I have been into the shop no less than 10 times trying to figure out what the problem is but it seems like they just don't give a crap. They are nice and all but I get responses like this

"3-4 gear slam is caused by you letting off of the throttle". I take them for a drive and show them what is it like when I accellerate to the speed limit under partial throttle...still get the same response

"It's normal for reverse to engage like that" I told them that that's funny I do not remember the car doing this before I had the trans rebuilt.

Today I talked to the company owner politely explaining the situation and he assures me that they will resolve this problem...... I have yet another appointment for this friday....he wants to drive my car and see for himself. I told him I NEED the problem FIXED as this has been an undue burden on me and my friends who have been so kind to help me.

Honda accords are one of the BEST CARS you can get and even all of the reviews comment on the 6th gen transmission smoothness and exellent shift qualities.

I am really mad becuase I did business with them based upon their repuation for quality and fair pricing and speedy service (3 day turn around) and I feel like I am being lead around.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Default RE: Warning: Those of you in MN, ND, SD, and WI do not use the following company

sorry to hear they are yanking your chain... keep us posted on if they fix it in the end... that's a bummer but thanks for the warning!

Old 06-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Default RE: Warning: Those of you in MN, ND, SD, and WI do not use the following company

Tell them that you are going to report the service of thier shop to thousands of gear heads on Honda and other car forums. Maybe that will get them to fix your car correctly. A guy on another forum sent Skunk2 a letter and wrote that and he ended up with a new manifold.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:23 PM

Results of meeting:

Was anble to get transmission to duplicate problem with the owner of Kennedy Transmission driving the car. He stated that reverse is not that hard and I told him that for this model of car this type of reverse is not acceptable and that I believe that once they fix the other problems, this one should be resolved as well. I will drop the car off next Wednesday ( my first free day)

Old 06-27-2006, 11:27 AM

OK the owner of Kennedy Transmisson wants me to replace the 3rd gear pressure switch...... WOW how many more parts do I have to replace on this transmission? I spent $3200 for the initial repair plus an additional $240 in parts that "failed" since the rebuild. I am very easy going when it comes to solving problems and Ihave gone along with all of the fixes that they have suggested but this is getting insane.

At this point I wish that I would have taken this car to my Dealer because I know I would not be putting up with crap like this.

Items replaced up to this point

all shift solenoids
2nd gear shift flare
all clutch packs
all seals
Differential bearings
main line pressure switch
torque converter
"C" solenoid
Main shaft (cause of failure)
trans fluid

Items not replaced