Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

You know the world is messed up when......

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default You know the world is messed up when......

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=23

Calif. sues 6 carmakers in global warming suit
Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:59pm ET

Business News
Fed holds interest rates steady
Calif. sues carmakers over global warming
Ford to offer 3 buyout options to salaried staff
VIDEO: Fed holds rates steady
More Business News... Email This Article | Print This Article | Reprints [-] Text [+]
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed a global warming lawsuit on Wednesday against Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota Motor Corp. and three other automakers, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler, and the North American units of Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd..

It also charges that vehicle emissions have contributed significantly to global warming and harmed the resources, infrastructure and environmental health of the most populous state in the United States.

Lockyer, a Democrat, said the complaint states that under federal and state common law the automakers have created a public nuisance by producing "millions of vehicles that collectively emit massive quantities of carbon dioxide."

Carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gases have been linked to global warming.

The lawsuit comes after California passed legislation supported by Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger that requires the state to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by 25 percent by 2020. California was the first state to mandate reduction of greenhouse gases

end snippint

WTFudgesickle? I'm speechless at the stupidity of man kind.

If I was any of those auto makers I would say "OK I refuse to sell anymore cars in CA"

Old 09-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Default RE: You know the world is messed up when......

How much do you want to bet at least one of the people submitting this claim/suit drives a large SUV with exceptionally low fuel mileage? how much do limo's get per gallon? It sounds to me almost like a political ploy to hurt some manufacturers and not others, and if california wins who's to stop every other state in the Nation from filing suit? If you get suid for every single car you made/sold you'll be out of business... sounds like I'd agree with you, stop selling your cars in their state, and shouldn't the state be liable too? they are the ones that made the vehicles legal to drive in that state. IF they thought it was harmfull why wasn't the DMV sued for issuing license plates to these manufacturer's? That's like picking up a person for doing cocain and then saying oh nevermind it's not your fault your dealer/manufacturer will do your time, go ahead keep doing the coke that hurts your system it's okay with us but if you make it then you're liable... give me a fricken break...

Old 09-20-2006, 08:46 PM

I dont know if this would work but...
Plant more trees instead of giving celebrities 50 acres of nothing but mansion bigger than the white house and like 8 cars that they drive on different occasions. If we planted trees on a daily basis then we would have as much problem with carbon dioxide and might put a dent in what california is mad about. Oh and doesn't california have a couple of cities that have no room for trees...they are just pavemant with a few skyscrapers and one happens to be the capital.

If we would have listened to al gore along time ago we might not have this problem. Like last year no one said anything about global warming but this year all the celebrities are whining about it...just makes me sick.

I watch Mtv so I know...lol

Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 PM

Humans...What are you gonna do? I think I'm gonna sue the airline companies, they pollute too. And I'm gonna sue farmers with livesstock because animals burp and fart. I could go on and on. I can't wait to see Lockyer riding his bicycle to work and Arnold on his skateboard.
On another note, of all the car companies, honda and toyota are constantly striving to produce lower emissions vehicles ahead of all others. Sue them too, right?
I'm gonna go into the next room and vomit until poop comes out of my mouth, sickens me.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

STOP the caliFORNICATION of america.