Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here!

my 4th gear pull video...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: my 4th gear pull video...

Are you sure that your "custom ram air intake" isn't just the inlet to a Comptech Icebox? Also, when your bumper is in place, shielding it as you mentioned, it isn't a ram air at all since the onrush of wind is deflected before it can pressurize the intake. The fact that it is hidden behind the bumper actually lowers the intake pressure rather than boosting it. What you have is a CAI, not ramair .... and if it's a Comptech Icebox, its not custom either. You say that there's no way that you'd run without a filter, but that you are using 3 layers of wire mesh screen as your filter. That's a contradiction because wire mesh screen isn't fine enough to filter the contaminants from the air that you need to keep out of your engine. When you can hand make a filter media capable of N95 or even MERV 12, I'll concede that what you have is adequate. At the very least, you should throw some gause and filter oil in between the screens!

Also, please, use a tag instead of the raw link so the wordwrap works.

Hey RTF .... I don't think I can recall anyone getting to you like this before!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 PM

I hope you dont run it like that all the time. Engines gonnaeventually let you downif you do

Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: j_man_honda

I hope you dont run it like that all the time. Engines gonnaeventually let you downif you do
its just my play car, we have a 01 impalla SS for DD....

Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Are you sure that your "custom ram air intake" isn't just the inlet to a Comptech Icebox? Also, when your bumper is in place, shielding it as you mentioned, it isn't a ram air at all since the onrush of wind is deflected before it can pressurize the intake. The fact that it is hidden behind the bumper actually lowers the intake pressure rather than boosting it. What you have is a CAI, not ramair .... and if it's a Comptech Icebox, its not custom either. You say that there's no way that you'd run without a filter, but that you are using 3 layers of wire mesh screen as your filter. That's a contradiction because wire mesh screen isn't fine enough to filter the contaminants from the air that you need to keep out of your engine. When you can hand make a filter media capable of N95 or even MERV 12, I'll concede that what you have is adequate. At the very least, you should throw some gause and filter oil in between the screens!

Also, please, use a tag instead of the raw link so the wordwrap works.

Hey RTF .... I don't think I can recall anyone getting to you like this before!!!!
actually the scoop is a part that came off of the factory resonator/airbox, the tubing flexible plastic tubing i found at home depot, it is supposed to use as a clothes dryer exhaust piping. i just clamped it onto the throttle body, routed the tubing through a hole that was left after the factory airbox/resonater and everything was pulled, and then i clamped the "scoop" onto the end of the tubing, wrapped the entire hose in high temp tape (it's black, so it looks decent at least, rugged, and a little ghetto, but decent." and as for the bumper empeding flow, it doesnt much at all, the bumpe has a huge gaping whole right in the middle intended for the radiator, but there's just enough space for air to flow past the radiator and right to where the scoop is located

Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 PM

Ram air needs direct flow to get any pressure ..... the dryer vent is too soft for an engine intake. A clothes dryer pushes about 0.2" of water column pressure while your intake will see about -0.6psi or about 16.5" suction ..... not to mention that it is built for pressure, not suction. Any flow restriction that you eliminated by not having a filter is replaced many times over by your choice of pipe. I'd recommend that you rebuild it with dryer vent rigid PVC (the thin stuff) and use smooth fittings. the surfact texture that you are using won't allow laminar flow regardless of the size ..... and it's still just a CAI system.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:41 AM

No biggie. I just feel that if you are going to post video the audience should be able to see it! As far as the huge pictures that make you scroll back and forth constantly, there's just no need for that when you can resize them for free and make the viewing experience nice instead of a pain in the ***. I'd like to see the engine also.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:13 AM

^_o ..... x2

Irfanview FTW with the pictures.

Ya know .... something occurred to me .... if you have an Implala SS for a DD, why on earth would you be telling us how fast that accord is and why would that be your toy? I'm starting to think this entire thread is BS and you are a troll.

Engine pics that fit on the screen, better video and a little tag in the pic with your screenname please!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:31 PM

I'm having a hard time beliving you have a H22 in that car because you have yet to post pics of it. You keep making these vids, but yet can't take the time to take one picture of your motor? Its ok to be young and have a simi fixed up car because it takes time and money to do what you want, but don't lie about it and say its just your toy car and what not

Old 04-06-2008, 12:57 PM

i would have posted a engine pic a long time ago but my digicam is broken, and i have to borrow m sis's to take any decent pics, which i will do next chance i get...but for now here's a crappy cell phone pic of under the hood, notice my dryer tube attached to the throttle body.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

^_o ..... x2

Irfanview FTW with the pictures.

Ya know .... something occurred to me .... if you have an Implala SS for a DD, why on earth would you be telling us how fast that accord is and why would that be your toy? I'm starting to think this entire thread is BS and you are a troll.

Engine pics that fit on the screen, better video and a little tag in the pic with your screenname please!
impala is the wifeys ride, she wont let me touch it... i could post pics of it if you want...i think i have some saved on my PC somewhere.. and the accord is faster.

Quick Reply: my 4th gear pull video...