Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here!

My current Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
You said 1 - 8" was all anyone needed you never said that 1 - 8" was all anyone needed who drove around at night.

You should stay out of the A/V section as you do not know very much. The 2 - 8's you have in your parents house work much differently playing on the flat floor in the square room then things work in the mobile environment.

Keep hope alive and neophyte both have 2 - 15's in their cars, are they both stupid to you? I do not think either one is to me.

Note to CrisPin:

You should get MECP certified before you make other people feel dumb.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Size

8's done properly can sound amazing. I have two 10" Orion HCCA's in and Orion ported box powered by a Hifonics Titan 1508d with 4 gauge power wire all the way through. It sounds clean and LOUD. No one believes that they are only 10's, because they are powered properly and make a bang. It's still a work in progress, I need to Dynamat my trunk because there is to much shake and figure a way to better tune them with my stock headunit. For now the 10's and the JL Audio interior speakers are good though, i'm still new to the forum but I'll be posting up pictures soon.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

i've done a single 10" ID10 vented (powered by JL 250/1) in a Scion xB and it was great - enclosure design and placement were key to success - this was rear facing in the driver corner, corner-loading was key.

I did a single 10" Ultra Subs LV10 (Powered by MTX 8302) in a custom center console in a 2001 Tundra. Sounds great as well. Down firing.

The Scion tC has a single 10" Hertz Mille (powered by Audison LRx5.1k - $6k system) in a custom enclosure in the rear passenger corner. Amazing sub and very capable. We just ordered a new enclosure to change orientation - experimentation is key.

The biggest challenge with smaller sub sizes is low frequency extension - so the goals of the system are important to consider and enclosure design is important. I ran a single 12 for a long time, and was happy. I've also ran 10's. I've ran four 12's. I run a pair of 12's now (powered by xtant 3300c) because of the Trunk Baffle (not true IB) configuration and it's effect on excursion capability. Soon, I will try a single Phoenix Gold Cyclone instead.

A pair of high excursion 8's can do great in a car or a home theater system. in a home or a car, placement is important and has the largest effect on what you will hear. 8's offer more flexible mounting locations. in an Accord, the rear trunk corners are excellent locations for 8's.

all that said, i'm doing a new build for a friend with a single 18" FiBL (powered by Massive Audio N4) and the enclosure will be massive, include concrete, and a horn baffle - it will be convertible between daily SQ and comp SPL.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 10-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.