Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

2002 suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 suspension replacement

This is going to be long winded, bear with me, I could really use some guidance here!!

I'm planning on changing out my suspension to get rid of the "boat" problem. I also carry a lot of tools in my car for work, probably 500lbs on a regular basis between the back seat and the trunk. I can definitely feel it when I am going down the road and see it in my gas mileage. I wanted to know if someone knew of some stiffer springs that were available for the accord, possibly a set of springs from a wagon or something like that. I'm not even sure if there was a wagon that year or not.

Also, when I do the suspension in the front I was thinking about changing out all the bushings too, definitely going to take a good look at the brakes, and I have a leaking main seal, so that and the oil pan gasket are getting changed out. I wanted to know what other things should probably be done up front while I have everything taken apart?!?!?!?! Should I be looking at doing CV joints while I have it apart too? Axles, etc?

I have 143,000 miles on my car and I want to get it up to 500,000 and with this new job it will probably be there in the next 6 years, maybe less. So as you can see I do a lot of driving. I don't want to put a lot of money into it, but definitely not going to cheap out on the parts. I was planning on KYB GR2 shocks and an H&R OE Sport Spring Set(51853.55). Definitely want those springs in the front, says its a .75" drop, not too much, but just enough to transfer a little more of that extra weight up to the front of the car. I am wondering if those springs will be good enough in the back, I remember seeing them in comparison to some other springs and they looked like they had a stiffer rate than most of the other ones, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for something even stiffer.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS AND I APPRECIATE ANY INSIGHT, THANXXX!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Supper Moderator

I would suggest adjustable shocks...then you can have w/e type of ride you want. SO when you have the tools stiffen up the rear end. I wouldn’t recommend lowering at all on GR2's they are 100% OEM replacement only.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Talking Hmmm.....

Thanks for the insight g22. I did do a lot of looking before I posted, and I kind of figured that the answer was going to be adjustables and expensive!

Will 3/4" really make that much of a difference that I shouldn't use those GR2s? I always thought anything under an inch didn't really matter, but I do plan on doing this right and not doing it again for another 100k+ miles.

What would you recommend for adjustables? Any insight on what other things I should look at doing under the hood when I have it all open?

Old 08-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Supper Moderator

you might get away with only that small of a drop. Some of the best struts are made by Koni...they are little pricy but worth their weight and gold. Kyb makes some adjustables too Kyb AGX's I think it what they are called. They might be cheaper than the Koni's