Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

2005 4 door suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Default 2005 4 door suspension mods

Ok fellas, I've got a 2005 Accord 4 door EX-L V6. It has 225000 miles on it, and at speed it feels about like a horse drawn carriage. My largest single issue is, I can't make any changes that are noticable from the exterior.....aka no lowering. I'm a Private Investigator and the car has to remain looking absolutely stock. However, it handles like a bag of old @$$. It is very noticable at interstate speeds of 80mph that it simply wants to wander around the lanes. I have no previous experience with asian cars, everything I know is in American V8 stuff. I realize basic suspension systems and their geometry all function on the same principles, but in the past I've mainly concerned myself with straight acceleration and hard high torque turning. This car, no offense, has neither power nor the ability to power through a curve. As I understand it, you basically can't add any monster power adder without grenading the auto trans, which isn't an avenue I want to go down. So my basic question here is, what can I add to this suspension to create a firmer, more controlled quality at speed? I see all kinds of crap out there for sale, but half the junk on the market is worthless as a paper weight, like TB spacers. I am going to get a strut tower brace, however after that I'm not sure which directions to take. Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'd go thru the suspension and check everything......at the age an miles.....I'd be willing to bet that unless it has been replaced before....it is getting worn.

Tie rods, sway bar bushings, control arms, ball joints...not just the front but check the rear as well.

Could have the ride height checked to verify the springs are ok......or just get a set of loaded struts (all four) and replace.

You state that it wants "to wonder" on the road at 80.....you have worn parts that need to be addressed.....just my opinion.

These things handle pretty good when things are ok. I've got an old 3rd gen (86-89) coupe that I have no problem "throwing" that thing into a corner. There is 270 degree entrance ramp to the interstate that I have fun with every now and then......except for the lack of HP I can keep up with the best of them

Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM

There are some worn parts that are due replacement, however before I go through buying stock parts I was looking to see what the best replacement upgrades are. I've turned wrenches for the better part of 20 years, and there is no car no matter how babied that at this mileage doesn't need new bushings, joints, shocks, struts, etc. I'm just thinking that when I start doing it all, what parts are best replaced with factory parts, and what parts should I update with performance oriented ones. I guess I should have been a little more clear on that up front.

As to the wandering thing, I've seen many 7th gen owners say that their cars wander at speed as well, with far less miles on the clock. Hence why I want to upgrade the things I can without buying the parts twice.

It seems I've read that adding the Acura TL rear sway bar is a good change, and for those willing to put forth the effort the front on as well. I know the rear one is about as thick as a pencil from the factory. Of course, from my Mustang days, we used front sway bars that were 1 7/8 inches in diameter.....like 3 times what these cars use.

I appreciate the input thought. Any other ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

"Joints" (tie rods, ball, ect) for the most part are pretty much the same. Any quality brand will be fine (moog, raybestos, ect).

Poly bushings (same with the stang) are nice, just be sure to lube them properly or the "noise" come in.

I thought the front bar from the TL pretty much went straight in ? but I could be thinking of a different gen.

Keep us updated on what you come up with.....

Also, if you ever get a job the NC area, let me know so I can mind my "P's" and "Q's"