Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

6th Gen Coilover Installation Problems

Old 08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
6genaccord
Unregistered
Default 6th Gen Coilover Installation Problems

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and began searching for help installing my new suspension

I couldn't find any so I posted a request, with a couple of questions, in the DIY section. Unfortunately no response. I apologize if this was in fact already written up or if this is the wrong spot, I couldn't find it. If that's the case could someone provide the link?

I recently bought Tein S-tech springs for my car and eventually realized I should've just bought an entire coilover set despite the difference in price. So nonetheless, I did some research and am prettydecided on a set of Koni Yellow Shocks and Struts. (good idea, bad idea?) From what I read, OEM or aftermarket springs are compatible soI shouldn't have a problem.Right?

Once I get the shocks I will have to assemble it myself and the installation and this is where my problem is.
I used the link provided by HondaDude to the Automotive Repair Reference Center so I could at least understand what parts I was talking about. I tried taking my suspension apart the other day just to get familiar with it. Of course my bolts were all ceased and I had to use some Blaster, but I managed to remove the damper fork nut only to realize my suspension would still not slide out becuse the brake unit wouldn't drop low enough. I then loosened the upper arm whichstill didn't allowremovaland found to my dismay that the bolt rotated with the nut as I was putting it back together! So, my last attempt/thought was to take off the damper pinch bolt, but after 5 hours of labor I had to put everything back together and drive to work. So I'm out of ideas and need help in what exactly to take off or loosen and what to reuse or not reuse with my new setup. Will I have to reuse "the fork"with my new suspension? Would I take off the upper arm assembly or the damper pinch bolt? And do I have to take the damper pinch bolt off anyway if I do in fact reuse that with my new suspension?

Also, when putting together the new suspension do I need any mounting brackets or should the shocks struts come with all the hardware I will need?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was in the wrong section.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Default RE: 6th Gen Coilover Installation Problems

You're on the right track.

Get the car up on jackstands. After the wheel's off, remove the nut and bolt where the fork attaches to the lower arm. Remove the pinch bolt, and seperate the fork from the strut, remove the fork. Remove the five flange nuts on top of the fenderwell. With a little wriggling, the strut with the spring should come out.

I doubt that the Koni's come w/ new top mounts, but do yourself a favor and install new ones. If you get cheap like I did, your Koni's will still be good, but you'll be taking it all apart again down the road when the top mounts wear.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
6genaccord
Unregistered
Default RE: 6th Gen Coilover Installation Problems

thanks alot for the pm's too!