Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

90 drive shaft removel???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Default 90 drive shaft removel???

HOw easy is it to replace the driver side half shaft on a 90 Accord LX? I kinda know my way around a car. BUt I'm very limited with tools and i will have to do all work outside in the snow.
Our driver side shaft cv boots are all ripped up. SO I bought a drive shaft off ebay. And cause other things need to be replaced we also bought new front wheel bearings. And we bought a combo kit on ebay that included: upper control arms ( w/ ball joints and bushings), lower ball joints, inner and outter tie rods ends, front sway bar end links. And theirs 2 of each to do both sides.
So I'm really hoping I can do this myself. But I know it wont be much at the garage to do all of this, just on the driver side. I'm guessing 150.00.
And I also had bought a while ago some adjustabel parts for the sportline kit we had installed. I think they are the [arts on the end of the upper control arm. can they come off my current control arms and be put on the new control arms. Cause I'm guessing i'll still need them to get my alignment right.
And is their anybody in the central NY area that would be willing to do this for some cash.
Thanx for any help or info with this.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Default RE: 90 drive shaft removel???

ok then... uh, seeing as you live in NY the spline nuts on the axles are probably siezed on there pretty good, so you will almost definitely need a neumatic impact gun, the wheel bearings have to be pressed in to the hubs/knuckles (as well as the old ones pressed out)... I have never even seen those sold seperate from the hub/knuckle assembly... you should slap who ever sold those to you. Regardless, you can take the whole thing off and bring them to a shop and have them press the old out and the new in. The rest of those parts can be installed with hand tools pretty simply.
When and if you are working with the axle, make sure you do not pull on the joints, the bearings will pop out, and it is the most enormous pain to get them back into place.
If you do not have a shop manual of any kind, atleast get a chiltons, it will be of great service to you, I would suggest a Haynes manual, but they cost $80... they are worth every penny though.

Good luck to you
-Seeds

Old 03-08-2008, 07:06 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I got mine done at Meinike for $159 w/ a $15 off coupon.

The halfshafts that were ordered from Advance Auto Parts were to short, and they tried to. So the #'s are wrong in their comp. for at least my gen of Accords. CarQuests worked fine though.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 PM

Haynes costs 15-20 bucks. Its the helms thats 80.