General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

drive shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default drive shaft replacement

I am doing a rotor change (hub over rotor) which I have done before on other honda cars without incident. I am trying to put this back together and its like the drive shaft has grown an inch. I took all three ball joint points off to replace rotor now I can hook bottom ball joint but not top and visa versa. I have used a jack to raise the lower and its still too far out. The shaft is in the transmission the correct distance. I have spun the other wheel while trying to get the cv shaft back into whatever groove its out of but it all feels fine. The shaft bolt has been tightened and it looks like its all the way in the outer hub. What have I unhooked and how to I put it back in without replacing the cv shaft? It has to be something in the boots but it spins fine feels fine. This is the drivers side have not got to the passenger side yet. The happy scale is really pegged. Thanks

Old 10-26-2014, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Did you happen to pull the "shaft" out of the inner joint? Might have to remove it from the hub and be sure that it is seated fully into the inner joint.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

You were right. Removed it this morning, took the boot off the transmission end and it was out. No idea it would even come out. Couldn't get that greasy mess back in where it belongs so 52 dollars for a swap and like magic no more problem with that side. The second rotor stripped the mount bolts same as the first. The heads are soft on this old car. Bet I don't mess up the shaft on this side. Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you figured it out.

Pulling the shaft out if the inner joint is easy to do...kind of a three hand job but as you pull the hub out...(one pulling the hub) one hand holds the shaft into the inner side and then a small "love tap on the end of the out joing to free it from the hub.....I've use my feet to hold/push on the shaft.

Even if you pull the shaft too far, there is a chance you can seat it back into the inner joint....slight twist and push works most of the time.

Again, you got is figured out, just trying to give some suggestion for the other side.