Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

USB/Flash Drive/Hard drive adapter

Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Flash is the way to go for use in a car. I would just get a 16gb or even a 32gb flash drive. HDDs are very susceptible to vibrations, especially 3.5" drives. If you go the HDD route you must use a 2.5" HDD (laptop) or better yet a SDD. 2.5" drives are not cheap and more than enough storage you need for music. I used to have a modded xbox in my last car, I built a small suspension (with RC truck shocks and springs) that would hold the drive vertically. That is the only way to have a 3.5" drive and actually last. Now a days 2.5" drives have more than enough capacity making that pointless, as the 2.5" drives are designed to work with vibrations. If you do go the HDD route, it is best to keep the drive vertical and perpendicular to the ground, this will help prevent the platters and head from crashing in large bumps.

EDIT: Also I don't know if this is the case with all the interfaces, but when I had my stock HU and the PIE AUX interface. At max volume the sound was noticeably quieter than say the radio or CD changer. I would bet money that this is the case with all interfaces though, my speakers were not amped at the time so that may also resolve that problem. I had my stock HU only for a couple months if that.

And if you care at all about true sound I would get rid of the stock HU. The stock HU has a nasty built in EQ that deteriorates the sound quality with real speakers. An aftermarket radio will give the features you want, including steering wheel controls, with added sound quality.

Last edited by t00fatt; 04-10-2009 at 11:48 PM.