Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

91 Accord Sedan - Lowering it.. have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM
mak
Default 91 Accord Sedan - Lowering it.. have questions.

Hey everyone, I've got a few questions that have probably been asked a million times here, but;

I've got a 91 Accord EX Sedan, it has 16x8 rims with Pirelli P6 4 Season 205.55.16 (91v), which I'm fairly satisfied with. I intend to pull them off of the car this spring and have a buddy of mine re-paint all 5 spokes glossy black, and resurface the rest of the rim back to a glossy silver. However, the car sits so high! I want to lower it, only about 1.5".. the offeset on the rims sets them just slightly outside of the wheel wells, so I don't want to go so low that my car hits my wheels in the event of a pothole.

I can't afford coil-overs, so I was thinking about getting some lowering springs.. but I've been reading that it can lead to camber issues and uneven tire wear if you use lowering springs or coil-overs without replacing the cambers with aftermarket (possibly adjustable) cambers that accomodate the new height of the vehicle.. is that the case here? Even if I get some springs that lower the car only 1.5", will I need new cambers or any other parts to get the job done proper?

I'm also aware that cheap springs will give a less than desirable ride, but after I post this I'm going to look around for some and see what you guys think of what I find.

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can shine some light on the situation

(Ignore the date/time stamp my camera goes without batteries for long periods of time and resets itself)

[IMG]local://upfiles/15440/768CFA96D78143269CF257E97BACC4D9.jpg[/IMG]

Edit: I've been reading up on coilover sleeve kits, and coilover kits.. what's the difference? I see tons of cheapies on ebay for under $50 shipped that claim to come with everything but shocks and mounting plates, does this just mean I'd use the sleeve kit with my current shocks and mounting plates?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Default RE: 91 Accord Sedan - Lowering it.. have questions.

depends here my set up i didint install yet

GABRIEL sturts 198
ebay lowering springs 68
sturts bars ebay 85
we have the same cheap set up for a 98 accord and you really cant tell the differnce to my bros skunk2 step up on his teg

Old 03-29-2008, 08:14 PM
mak

Did you replace the shocks and strut bars because they needed to be replaced? ..or is it required that you change them when lowering the car?

I have fairly new suspension all around, with the exception of the springs, and I only want to lower my car 1.5" - 2".. my current wheels came from an Rex (rx7), so they offset isn't correct for my car, meaning I can't lower it too far or the fenders will rub on the tires. I want to keep my current wheels now, but I want to lose some of that fender gap.

My hope was to pick up a set of cheap lowering springs from ebay and replace my current springs with them to lower the car. Do I need to replace anything else to lower it?

As it is, the car doesn't ride like it's on a cloud.. I can't imagine these cheap ebay springs could make it any worse, but that's why I ask, because I don't know for sure.

Simple version of my question: Can I simply replace my current stock springs with aftermarket 'ebay' springs to lower my car up to 2?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:22 PM

yeah but you have an awsome ride feel with the gas sturts and sturt bars. every car that i will pick up this is the frist mods i will do

Old 04-19-2008, 10:05 PM
mak

I have a front/upper strut tower bar.. the shocks are at least 3 years old, I suppose they should be replaced when I do this, but I'm now getting ready to pick up a nice set of either Skunk2 or TeinS lowering springs, I'm going to drop it in the next few weeks..

Just to clarify, what all am I going to need as far as parts go to lower this car?

-mak

EDIT: What I mean is, do I need a camber kit, or anything like that to lower it up to 2"?