Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

99 Accord Suspension Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Default 99 Accord Suspension Q

Im in the market for a suspension and I was looking to put an air suspension or air bags on my Accord. The problem I came up with was finding a good website to buy them from or a good name brand to buy. I didnt want anything too expensive maybe looking around 2k or so for the whole system and finding a whole kit for it would be nice and maybe even cheaper.

Let me know if you can point me in the right direction thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 99 Accord Suspension Q

Better off with a system like mine. Coilovers for height adjustment and adjustable dampers. If I turn my dampers down to 6 the ride is almost as soft as a caddilac, but I have performance springs. If you want the soft ride, get this kind of setup with a softer spring. If you want it because you load the trunk with 600 lbs of stuff and you want auto-leveling then keep looking for the air-ride kit.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 AM

Well, I bought some struts and springs that you can adjust. I only got some new ones due to the system I have in my trunk was weighing down the back end enough to when I would hit most bumbs or turn rather sharp or even go up some inclines I would scrape the back tires on the cars body *my tires stick out just enough to cause a rub*

Anyway, after puting them on I realized that the ride was rather bumpy and I could feel the road more plus I would bounce around alot. The springs must of been too tight or maybe too heavy duty for what I wanted. I just wanted to stop the rubbing of the back tires and that did indeed stop. The car looks good because I was able to lower it with the springs I have but I cant take the ride it gives now. Even over some bumps it sounds like the front tires arent giving at all and it sounds horrible. Im afraid that I will wind up messing up my rims soon due to this.

Let me know some brand names I should look for - that I think was my problem to begin with.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 AM

If you have a fully adjustable setup and the springs are in the ballpark, you should be able to help the ride by turning down the setting on the dampers (make them softer). You might be able to fix the rubbing by rolling in the edge of the wells ..... you'd have to find someone to do it as it's custom body work, but fairly simple to do.

Brands: Tein, KYB, Tokico (I don't recommend these), Koni, Eibach, Neuspeed, Skunk2 .... many others

NOTE: On my setup, there are 16 positions for the dampers. #8 front and rear is recommended for street use and #10 up front, #8 rear for track. I use 10/8 all of the time. If your dampers are like mine, they have to be softened to about half to perform properly. What you have might be fine, just set too tight. Did you have the kit installed with camber adjusters?

Lastly, your signature should have year/trim/doors/tranny to get people on here to help you. I usually don't post help without a signature either, but I was in a good mood.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 AM

The kit I installed did come with camber adusters but I believe it to be a cheap set and I have tried to adjust it to make it a smoother ride but nothing seems to work. So I checked around and thought about this:
http://www.raceinspired.com/ps-2477-...1998-2002.aspx
Let me know what you think about product and price.

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:52 PM

with those, you can only adjust the springs, nott he dampner. The "ss" (superstreet) you have control over both dampner and springs.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 PM

Ok thank you, I see now... I didnt even see there were different types like that and was wondering about the 16 different levels you can adjust them and then adjusting the springs as well. Found these:
http://www.raceinspired.com/pc-2546-...1998-2002.aspx
A bit more as I thought it would be just by the name change but it seems to be worth it. I might look around more for a better price but it seems to be around 900-1k everywhere so far.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:31 PM

The adjustments are actually the other way around. You set the springs for the ride height that you want ad then the dampers for the firmness that you want. Start out with the recommended settings (8&8 in my case) and adjust from there to see what you like or dislike. The prices that you are finding seem about right. Also, don't forget aboutt he camber adjustments .... I know that you mentioned them earlier. I have a few posts talking about my problems with the offset ball joints. Since we both have 6th gens, I'd expect the same problem on your car. Look at this thread (one of many) https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_7..._/tm.htm#78877

Thanks for adding the signature ..... nice system in there!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM

Ok, going to go with those then and try them out - I hope they do what I want and then some. One problem I find I am having other than what I have already stated is that when I go up some inclines, like going into a fast food joint or something that is off the highway *most of the times there is a slight dip then incline for a water drain line* anyway, there is a loud pop noise coming from the rear tires. Even going idle it does it this and I am guessing it is strut bottoming out or something, unless there is something I did wrong during installation and im more than positive I put them back the way they were when I got the old ones out. Anyway, other than the horrible ride, that is my last problem so far since I put in the new struts and springs.

Thanks. The system is nice and that was the sorce of my problem :\ not to mention there is a drycell battery back there as well as my spare + jack and what not... BUT I am not giving up the system... lol I'll fix the ride soon with this new set up.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 PM

maybe the springs are too soft?!? ...... I can't see a pair of 12's weighing the rear down so much that you bottom the shocks. Are you sure that you are not hearing the tailpipe scraping? If I pull out of my driveway nose first and go a little too fast, my tailpipes will scrape the sidewalk.

For clarification, you put on new shocks and springs with camber adjustment and you are looking to replace that system now?

Quick Reply: 99 Accord Suspension Q