Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

99 Accord Suspension Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 99 Accord Suspension Q

Look into AMR coilovers. Excellent customer service, dampening adj. Very nice coilovers. I just installed mine about 2 weeks ago.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM

No no, Im not replacing the system, I did replace the factory springs/struts with new ones that had adjusters. I am looking to replace the ones I just put on there due to the fact they are too stiff or too hevy duty because of the ride they give. but before I put in the replacments the 12's along with amps + dry cell battery, and spare tire would almost always make my tires rub on most bumbs and inclines. It cant be my tailpipe - its factory at the moment and with the new springs/struts, I along with another can sit on the back of my car and it not even budge.

This poping sound just seems to be something to do wth the new springs/struts I installed. Before it was the scrape of the tires and now it has to be that... there is no scrape but theres that pop noise. Its like it is poping back into place or something. *im not saying it was out of place before but other than it bottoming out the strut, I cant think of anything else it could be*.

Either way, I cant take the ride still... taking girls out and them noticing the fact they are bouncing around a bit more than before in my car (without my help >.&gt just riding around town... it gets on my nerves along with the fact that I cant take it myself.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 AM

What shocks, struts and springs do you have in there? I have a Tein SS setup and with the car lowered about 2", 400 lbs of friends in the back, a dual 12" bandpass around 3.5 cu. ft., 2 amps, crossovers, capacitor, a 2nd battery and 3 milk crates of car care crap, I never had any bottoming out problems nor was the car ever too stiff for comfort. Since I killed the sub amp, I got rid of the box and battery.

With my suspension, I usually keep it set on track settings (10 front, 8 rear) and it is plenty comfortable for daily driving. If I were still dating, I'd probably drop the settings to 7 for a date, but the track settings are not as tight as a lot of people think. If the suspension is too tight, the car will slide rather than track the road.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM

Well, the struts and springs were some no name ebay buy that a friend and I thought of doing to stop the rub. It worked just they suck with the ride they give. Although they do make my car look better due to being able to lower the car.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 PM

Are the shocks adjustable? The springs sound too stiff.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 PM

No they are not, only adjustable = springs. They have to be too stiff, that is the only thing I can think of.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 AM

You don't know what the shocks are either? That makes this tough ...... bare minimum, you need to get a set of springs that are made for your car. You mentioned early on about being willing to spend 2 grand ....... that would be about enough to duplicate my entire suspension. The problem with just doing springs is that if the shocks still suck, you have to redo all of the labor to put new ones on. Also with springs that are too hard, you really can't tell if the shocks are too hard or soft. Try looking for markings on the parts themselves (if you don't have reciepts). At least if you can find a model #, we can find out what the specs on your parts are.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 AM

Well, I dont mind spending a bit to get better name brand stuff that will correct my problem. I just know that I might not take off the springs/struts unless I have something to replace them with due to the fact that they were a pain and the use of my friends garage isnt always avalible. I do know when I was looking on ebay I put in 1999 Honda Accord... blah blah... so I could get stuff for my car and not something else. There was no problem with the install and they fit just right. I just think the springs arent made well and thus they ride like a covered wagon. So I am just going to grab the SS set up and try them out. Sad thing is I dont have a reciept and I doubt there is any return policy from the places I bought these I have now from. Not like its that big of a deal I dont think I spent but maybe 200 dollars or so. I guess I will have learned my lesson this time around[:@]

Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 AM

I was mainly wondering if you need new shocks, but for a full setup costing 200 bucks! .... not worth keeping! The Tein SS is awesome! It turns the 3G (Grandma's Grocery Getter - my car's nickname) into a real 130 mph machine! Have you upgraded the anti-sway bars? A lot of people are using the 17 and 20 mm rear bars from cl/tl's and love them ..... and it's a very cheap, worthwhile upgrade. I know they have nothing to do with your problem, but if you are doing the work at your buddy's garage, it will only add about a half hour to your work time.

From personal experiance, I recommend the Tein SS kit, Comptech anti-sways, Neuspeed strut bar and a cheepie rear tie-bar. If you are getting the Tein setup and you want on-the-fly damper adjustment (so you can roll like a Caddy for the ladies, but turn it up for some highway fun when someone pushes up on the road), get the SS-P setup with pillowball mounts. Then I can sell you the kit that my gf got for me that I can't use (I don't have the -P kit). It's unused and I have a thread trying to sell it because the way she ordered it, they won't return it. I'd have loved to be able to use it, but it's not worth changing out the suspension for. ..... costs around 400 new, sold as 2 parts (motor kit and controller).

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_7..._/tm.htm#78917

Old 09-28-2007, 10:08 AM

I will check it out. I have to run for a bit but will be back in about an hr. I would like to grab some sway bars and was thinking about doing it very soon but I was wanting to toss on a new exhaust first/a few more speakers before I did but since I am already messing with the suspension I think that I might as well put them on and have it right the first time.

bbs and I will check the forum link + those ss-p's as well.

thanks.