Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Anti-sway bar: Acura TL vs. Progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 PM
otto
Unregistered
Default Anti-sway bar: Acura TL vs. Progress

Hi guys, first post.

After some serious consideration of buying a new car (2008 Subaru STi) to replace my 2003 V6 Accord AT Coupe, I've decided to keep the Accord.

But I need to make some improvements.

One of the first things I want to address is the car's roll. I've read the Suspension 2.0 FAQ, and I've read a bunch of threads. I'm going to get a bigger/stifferanti-sway bar, and it looks like the Acura TL 20mm bar and the Progress 24mm bar are the popular choices.

My question is this: for the price difference (roughly $40 vs. $140) is there that much difference? If so, please elaborate! I'm not really that sensitive to price, but, on the other hand, there's no need to dump an extra $100 if the Acura TL bar will get me 90% of the way there.

This car is my daily driver, and there are no other mods. I corner pretty hard, and am tired of the lean and roll. I'm also getting official snow tires on the stock 16" rims, and I'll be getting 18" rims and performance tires for non-winter times. Not to hijack my own thread, but I'm all ears on opinions for 18" rims/tires, as well as strut bars.

Thanks very much!

-- Otto

Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Default RE: Anti-sway bar: Acura TL vs. Progress

if you like to corner hard, than the bigger the sway, the better. But that doesn't always apply since by going overboard, you can end up with over steer.
As for 18's, go for it. As long as it is proportionate to the car. Strut bars, any brand is fine, they pretty much do the same thing and are same quality. You're just paying for the name.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:44 PM
otto
Unregistered

Gotcha. Thanks for the comments. I ordered the 2004 MT TL bar. I read a lot that it'll make a good improvement over the stock bar. If it's not enough, I'll sell it and go for the Progress model.

I know it's been done before, but I'll post my impressions once I have it installed.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:10 PM

I'm sure you'll like the TL bar, it should be a vast improvement, if you want even better handling then order a front sway bar as well, I think a 24mm Progressive bar without having a front sway bar is going to give you some handling issues that you don't want. On the other hand a 24mm rear and a 17 or 19mm front would probably be a great setup.... Here's my suggestion:

Install the 20mm rear. want to improve?
Install front and rear strut tower braces. Still not enough?
Install a 16 or 17mm front. Still Not enough?

then prepare to shell out some cash and get a nice set of shocks/struts/springs for a coilover setup and drop the car an inch or more...

just my opinion...

Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 PM

You can beef up the strut tower brace by getting one from aHonda V-6 Six speed coupe. They differ from the automatic one.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 AM
otto
Unregistered

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to go to the car boneyard today to see if I can find a front strut bar from a MT V-6. Is there a certain year, or any G7 is OK? Where do I get the rear strut bar (yeah, stupid question, I know).

Thanks for all the comments!