Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Bolts that hold front rotor problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:22 PM
MR.97ACCORD
Unregistered
Default Bolts that hold front rotor problem

The bolts that hold the front right rotor on my 97 are stripped.....I noticed this when I was rotating the tires the other day. Am I hosed? someway around this?

Old 10-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Default RE: Bolts that hold front rotor problem

i had the same problem when putting on my big brake kit,
I had to drill mine out, here's the kicker, your actually supposed to use a special tool to get them out, the trick is to apply ionward pressure and then twist. i learned the hard way. replacement screws were oem honda only as well!!!

i have a 2000 so we have different models, however on mine, the rotor holds on just fine, i just put my wheel back, zero problems.

i checked this out with a mechanic, before i did it.

good luck

Old 01-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

easy out them. a drill bit that turnes to the left. before that extinguish all other possibilities. when i work on acuras i notice the same problem.

i take a phillips bit that goes on a drill, i get a 1/4 socket with a 1/4 drive. also a big *** sledge. take the bit and put it into the screw. slam it with the sledge about ten or twenty times hard until you see the rust dust full from behind the rotor. then put the ratchet on the bit and try to turn.

lightshow

Old 01-14-2006, 01:10 AM
coombs
Unregistered

even more options:

I used a propane torch to put heat into the disk retaining screws, that was enought to break them loose.

I was worried about stripping them too, was going to drill out the head of the screw, then pull off the rotor. Once you have it off you should have enough threads sticking out get a set of vice grips onto whats left of the screw and spin it out.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

definately a good idea. just whatever you do, go down to ace hardware or whatever and replace ALL of them when you get them off.

lightshow

Old 04-12-2006, 02:56 AM
Administrator

You could also use an extractor to back them out.small hole drill them first then use your extractor tool to back them out..

WheelBrokerAng

ORIGINAL: MR.97ACCORD

The bolts that hold the front right rotor on my 97 are stripped.....I noticed this when I was rotating the tires the other day. Am I hosed? someway around this?

Old 04-12-2006, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: dinzer

your actually supposed to use a special tool to get them out, the trick is to apply ionward pressure and then twist. i learned the hard way. replacement screws were oem honda only as well!!!
Are you reffering to an impact screw driver? is that the proper name? I did the brakes on an acura once and ran into this issue, I ended up doing what lightshow did and just a tad differnet though.... I used a flathead bit that fits just inside of the phillips slot and pounded it in..

Old 04-13-2006, 09:41 PM

You do need an impact screwdriver to remove those screws, but they do not need to be reinstalled. Their only function is to keep the rotor on the hub during assembly. They are a PITA to get out, but if you have an impact screwdriver and a little patience they will usually come out. You can drill them out if you have to.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Administrator

You know guyz we are a pretty smart bunch of people in here.
Every one has a very good grip on the ways to get this job done...I know that we all must have had to do this ourselves once or twice.

I for one am very PROUD of the people in this forum and I'm glad to be associated with you all.

Now...Please keep the language Clean and I'll stay out of your posts...[sm=yeahsmile.gif]
WheelBrokerAng [sm=vader1.gif][sm=smokin.gif]

Old 04-13-2006, 11:13 PM

Did i use dirty language? If i did i apologize.

Quick Reply: Bolts that hold front rotor problem