Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Bolts that hold front rotor problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Default RE: Bolts that hold front rotor problem

IF you don't re-install those screws you'd better be sure you torque all of your lug nuts to the same specifications or you could cause some issues.... without those screws in there you get to a "floating rotor" situation (same as the new ford Focus does...) that simply means that it relies on the rim/hub to maintain it's postion, it's pinched between the two and if it's not kept even it can wear funky and you'll go through pads faster...

Old 04-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah, not all cars have locking nuts on the rotors, usually they are just pressed on and you have to slap the hell out of it with a rubber mallet to get it off.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:04 AM

Actually, if you looked closly at the rotor you would see two holes (aside from the 2 for the screws). You put a bolt in each hole and turn the two bolts equally. This will push against the hub and rotor will come off. The rubber mallet is unneccesary. I don't think that those two little screws can hold the rotor onto the car during normal driving. ALWAYS torque the lug nuts, not just if you don't put the screws back on. I take the screws off and throw them away because they are a BIG PITA to remove so i don't want to have to ever have to deal with them again, and since they don't do anything no harm, no foul.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 AM

yooooo guys .... he said 97 accord . those are hub ove rotors,, they DO NOT have the screws, they have ,4 ,,,14 mm bolts..those phillip screws you are talking about was on accords up to 89 and since 98 ,, they are used on rotor over hub.........90-97 accords it was hub over rotors.. ,,quite a bit more work to replace those rotors ..

Mr 97 why are you concerned that those bolts ares tripped ?? are you planning on replacing the front rotors ?? if not do not worry about it.....if you are let me know i will tell you a little trick that it has worked for me in the past......

Old 04-18-2006, 12:11 PM
MR.97ACCORD
Unregistered

tell me about the trick?

Old 04-20-2006, 02:03 AM

Mr 97 why are you concerned that those bolts ares tripped ?? are you planning on replacing the front rotors ?? if not do not worry about it.....if you are let me know i will tell you a little trick that it has worked for me in the past......
yea i wanna know this trick too. i was starting a brake job the other day and ran into this problem. the head was rounded off on one of the rotor to hub bolts. can rotors be turned with hub still attached? it seemed like i saw someone do this once.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 PM

yea i wanna know this trick too. i was starting a brake job the other day and ran into this problem. the head was rounded off on one of the rotor to hub bolts. can rotors be turned with hub still attached? it seemed like i saw someone do this once.
[/quote]

yes they can turn them on the car.....rotors

Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: MR.97ACCORD

tell me about the trick?
this has worked for me many times so i hope it will work for you..............
get a hammer and hit the head of the bolt making it flatter ( wider ) get a good socket if socket is worn this will not work , 6 point socket , DO NOT use a 12 point socket . if socket will not go over the bolt after you have hammered the bolt, hammer the socket into the bolt, the tighter the better grip it will have , get a breaker bar or impact wrench if available. and remove the bolt,
make sure that if you do use a breaker bar , it is straight , if it is not straight socket will slip out .. .........if you di it right , it should work for you as well..