Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

coilover preference? skunk 2 or ground control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Default coilover preference? skunk 2 or ground control?

i ordered a set of tokico blue struts, but now i am debating on which coilovers to go with. i have narrowed it down to Skunk 2 coilovers or ground control coilovers. any feed back on these to sets would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Default RE: coilover preference? skunk 2 or ground control?

just give Jay Morris a call at Ground Control, he can tell you all about why you should choose ground control, they are superior to a lot of other coilovers on the market, im running them on my track car BMW (in my sig) 520 spring rate in front and 850 in back.
If you go to higher spring rates above 350 poundage, you are going to want to revalve those shocks to match the damping rate to the spring rates, that is if they arent adjustable in the bound or rebound side.
what exactly are you trying to do with the car? track car? just have a fun car to drive around?

here are pic of them on my car (not a accord)

the spring is off the perch in the rear pic as the car was raised.

They warranty their parts and are good for their word, i met the owner of ground control at a tech session a few months back in the bay area, great guy. For the price you cant go wrong either.
You get your choices of spring rates along with the ride height adjusters to raise or lower the car as you wish.

www.ground-control.com

Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 AM

i drivea 4dr accord. with a 2.2 liter and 5 spd. i plan on using it as a daily driver and weekend toy. i like cornering hard and straight line acceleration. i guess i want a car that can be thrown through corners hard on the windy mountain roads, and used on ocasional strip runs also. i planned on using coilovers and bigger sway bars along with the 17s i just bought.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 AM

With a car that is front wheel drive, you can bias the spring rate towards the rear so under acceleration, it pushes in the back so the car becomes more neutral. You can use sway bars to dial understeer/oversteer out as well, stiffening up the car respectively more in the front will make it understeer and harder to turn (but safer for beginner drivers), setting the front sway bar on the furthermost notch (adjustable bars) will loosen it up and the rear back towards the inner most part of the bar will most likely be what you are looking for alongside stiffer springs in back like i mentioned.
Ive learned that besides a bigger sway bar, adjustment is far more important so you can fine tune understeer/oversteer without changing the spring rates and is less time consuming.

If you decide to get coilovers, 350 in back and 300 in front is a decent spring rate, they will be able to tell you how much free length you need with a 2.5" ID spring since it varies car to car, generally they say a 8" spring.

Before modifying a car, i always recommened going to an autocross session or a track day where you can push the car without suspension mods, and in a controlled enviroment, the knowledge you learn from those few hours is worth its weight in gold alone.

Of course if you arent going to drive the thing into the ground like i do, then track time would be a waste of money if you are going to be responsible haha.