Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Default coilovers

i bought coilovers for my 1995 honda accord ex but not full coilovers just the spring and the sleeve i want to put them on but im confused cause my coilover spring is way smaller than my stock springs so how would i fit my new spring to replace my big stock one? do i try to compress my shock to fit it?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by cgerlecz
i bought coilovers for my 1995 honda accord ex but not full coilovers just the spring and the sleeve i want to put them on but im confused cause my coilover spring is way smaller than my stock springs so how would i fit my new spring to replace my big stock one? do i try to compress my shock to fit it?
Yes they will fit but you better buy some good shocks don't put the coilovers on OE or OE replacement shocks they will blow fast and you will have a crapy and bouncy ride. Buy some shocks that are made for lowering...Koni makes some great ones check them out. You will also need to remove the whole shock to install the coulovers.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
Yes they will fit but you better buy some good shocks don't put the coilovers on OE or OE replacement shocks they will blow fast and you will have a crapy and bouncy ride. Buy some shocks that are made for lowering...Koni makes some great ones check them out. You will also need to remove the whole shock to install the coulovers.
oh really? i was told by alot of people you could do atleast a 2 inch drop on stock shocks

Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cgerlecz
oh really? i was told by alot of people you could do at least a 2 inch drop on stock shocks

those people are not giving you good information.

think about it - the spring provides the support and ride. the shock is just a dampener, to slow the spring oscillation. the two MUST be matched, otherwise you'll blow the shock since it will not be operating in the correct range. you'll force the shock to compress too far, too often - something an OE shock is not made for. and 2" is a lot of drop. on 0.5" you can probably get away with OE shocks, but why? the point of lowering is to increase performance, and some aesthetics to eliminate fender-wheel gap. more than 2" and you have some serious modifications to do to the suspension, so you have adequate travel and everything is properly aligned.

you bought lowering springs. now you need shocks for those spring heights - designed for the drop you now have. you'll not only destroy your OE shocks quickly, it'll be dangerous when they do and you could break something else.

lowering your car is a ~$700-1k investment, with DIY labor - (more for the good stuff that actually handles great). you'll also need an alignment after the drop so you can check camber, and possibly invest another ~$300 in F/R camber adjusters, and get another alignment to verify you did that right.

if you ignore this, you'll not only destroy your OE shocks rather quickly, but you'll destroy your tires by wearing on the inside edge. the handling and ride will greatly suffer as well.

do it right, or don't do it at all. if you can't afford to do it right, then don't do it at all.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 PM

i have to agree with him above, i use to have a 91 accord slammed stupidly with the setup u say u just bought and rode on stock shocks...oh lord it was bouncy and tires oh i was buying used every two months or soo....i say u bag it i have a chrysler 300c srt8 now bagged and its a great ride...