Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

A few questions on shock parts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default A few questions on shock parts...

So I have Koni Sports being shipped to me as we speak and H&R Race springs chillin' at home. What I want to do is build the damper assemblies at my grandfathers and then install them at my house with a buddy, but the more I read up on it, it looks like that's not going to happen, to Grandpa's house we go for the full deal.

My question to you is, if you were in my situation would you buy new top mounts or reuse the 10 year-old ones I currently have?

Majestic Honda is the cheapest OEM parts dealer I could find that actually carries everything. The total came to: $130.58 shipped.

Here's what I want to replace (bolded number's I'm replacing for sure, italic numbers I want to replace, regular numbers unsure of)

FRONT

Want to replace 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 15 (Basically the entire top mount). Also buying the fork bolt (not shown).

REAR

Want to replace 1, 3, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 17 (again, the basically the entire top mount).

^Question on #14, for those of you who have taken the 98-02 assemblies apart, is this piece rubber, plastic, metal? If it's rubber I'll replace, but Mejestic lists it as "Cover, RR. Mount Dust (Lower)" instead of the standard "Rubber, RR. Spring Mounting" for #10. Only reason I ask is because I know the front doesn't use lower rubber spring isolator, but the rear on my 95 did, but this description makes it seem as if it's just a lower dust cover for #11.

I looked all over (D2, K-Sport, Tein, F2, etc.) for Upper Pillowball mounts ($130 on OEM parts?!?!, I'll drop an extra bill if I can get pillowballs)... only Tein and F2 make them and they're only included with their SS-P and Type II coilover kits, respectively.

I know I really only need to replace the rubber isolators (this was an issue when I dropped the 95 on Eibachs, spring clanking is not a nice sound), but my OCD is kicking in and saying, "You just spent $800 on dampers and spring, don't cheap out now."

Any thoughts? Discuss.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A few questions on shock parts...

booo majestic honda, just get it through your local honda dealer ship, majestic has screwed me one too many times

Old 10-29-2008, 12:07 PM

How have they screwed you? They were by far the cheapest place doing the dealer-selling-OEM-parts-online gig. My original plan was to go to the Honda dealer I've/we've been going to for the past 14 years, but I don't want to pay the full price on this stuff ($16.00 vs. $11.20 for front mounts).

Old 10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

well there was a few times, the main one was I ordered a front bumper from them, only to be told they wont ship it, but they were in hartford, so i was like i'll just come pick it up cause i'm going to be hartford on that saturday anyways so they are like alright someone will be here. get there, and they are closed, so then i make a special trip down just to get the bumper(about a 2 hour drive) get it, and it looks like someone took a hammer to it, literally a hole punched through it, so they say they could get another one tomorrow, but i told them i just wanted my money back and got it through the local honda dealer instead.

plus if i remember correctly their shipping rates are a little high, there was something else they screwed me on but i dont remember what it was at the moment.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM

I remember that story.... lol. The shipping for the parts is $15... not too shabby.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Well no one really answered my question. I'm just going to get new mounts and replace the spring isolators. And....

I'm spending the rest of my cash money on an 04+ TL 20mm sway bar and the associated parts for it... $65 lol. If the math I read was right... it's a ~95% increase in overall strength from the stock 17mm one.