Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

floor stabalizer bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 07:36 AM
euroaccord
Unregistered
Default floor stabalizer bar

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has heard of a floor stabalizer bar. If people have is it worth it to buy it? I have heard that middle body reinforcement is a good suspension upgrade. I remember seeing it on ebay but i dont think that it is on there anymore. If anyone has heard of this and knows if it is a good upgrade please let me know. Ohhh.... it is going onto a 94 euro spec accord.

Thanks,

Old 02-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Default RE: floor stabalizer bar

Enter the sway bar arguments.... Most manufacturers today build their frames (providing it is a full frame and not a uni-body car which your accord is full frame....) rigid enough to prevent body flex and that's all that a strut tower or mid body sway bar is going to attempt to do. In my opinion an mid body sway bar is pointless. Think about the area running from you frame between the doors and around, it's a giant square of steel that's got to be flexed, what's a little mid body bar going to do? Now don't get me wrong I'm not talking about front or rear anti-sway bars these comments are about strut tower and mid body sway bars only... the one time I saw a slight difference from a strut tower bar (cornering performace wise) was on a vehicle I had that was wrecked like 4 or 5 times so the body was thrashed... Mid body sway bar though In my opinion is a waste of money

Old 02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
euroaccord
Unregistered

Thank you for the advice with the floor bar. I used to work on american muscle cars and know strenghtening the center of the frame has good benefits but that is a body bolted on a frame. with unibody frames the whole car flexes like in the 91 mustang gt and a middle bracing bar actually helps in that case. I am not knocking your response you have giving me some things to think about and consider so im going to dig a little deeper into this subject. Thank you for the info.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:18 AM

I concur.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:58 PM

No offense taken... this is a long running argument in all sorts of circles... I'll insert the typical response that on a track under high speed conditions you'd probably notice a difference but if you're talking like SCCA Auto X or something of that nature I don't think it's worth the time or money... But you're right on some of the older cars it did make a difference... I used to race an 81 ford fairmont (start laughing now.... it was called bump to pass was the class I raced and it's just that... bump them, then pass them...) then I moved to the pinto's and Mustang II's and there it made a difference but when I moved into SCCA on the honda's I don't see it doing much.... of course that's my opinion... let me know what you find I'm always open to suggestions!

Old 03-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there is so much flex in your accord when you corner its crazy. a middle stiffener will make a huge difference, just as big as putting front and back strut towers on, and anyone who has these can tell about the difference. thats why cars like the 99-00 civic si came stock with an upper strut tower, because it lowered the front end flex during hard cornering substantially.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:18 PM

Could I make one of these myself? Like just run a bar diagnoally from one side of the frame to the other and weld it on? If I could do that I've got a ton of scrap metal lying around it's worth trying it to me... costs me nothing

Old 03-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

absolutely.....but the nice ones look alot better....maybe you like me cause to me performance weighs so much more than style

Old 03-07-2006, 02:05 PM

I don't care what your car looks like, when you lose they won't look at your car anymore... That's my opinion anyway... Now if you can pull off both performance and style then hats off to ya! I can't afford it...