Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Helping a Honda Friend

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:08 AM
dart
Unregistered
Default Helping a Honda Friend

Hey guys, new to the forum. I am trying to help my friend lower his 1998 Accord 2-door. I have lowered 4 or 5 vehicles now, but I want him to kinda do this one on his own with my supervision. I was curious if there was a how-to on this, maybe with pictures for him? If not, could someone break it down into steps with any helpful hints? He and I would both greatly appreciate it. Also, I need some oppinions on struts. We are going to replace those as well while we are under it.

The car won't be tracked or AutoX, just a daily driver. He purchased Neuspeed springs with the 1-1.5" drop. What would be a good strut to use with that combo, given the driving needs?

Also need to know about a camber kit. General rule is 1-1.5" and you will probably need a camber kit. Whats a good one and fits the '98 model? I'm a Nissan guy, so this Honda stuff is new to me. Please give me any info you have, links, pictures and valid oppinions. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 AM
dart
Unregistered
Default RE: Helping a Honda Friend

Forgot to mention its a V6, don't know if that changes anything... Would it change the springs? I am now curious if he stated V6 when ordering... Let me know ASAP if the springs differ between powerplants, thanks!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 AM

From what I've seen, they do differ between the 4-cyl and V6. At least for 6th gen... can anyone else confirm this?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:32 AM

I don't know personally. But I'll tell you that I HAVE seen different eBay auctions for 4cyl springs and V6 springs.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Given the weight difference from 4-6cyl engines they would have to be different springs.

Struts: Kyb, koni, or tokico would match up with those springs just fine (I'd probably go with KYB)

Tip: before you disassemble the spring/strut setup outside of the car (once it's off) lay it down on a piece of cardboard or paper or something and note how the cap/bolts are lined up in relation to the base of the shock/strut, just trace around it, then be sure that you line that cap up the same way before re-installation or you'll be hating life...

Old 07-06-2007, 06:24 PM
dart
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies so far. Springs and struts are covered. But I would still like to hear about a write-up for installation and some opinion on camber kits if possible. Thanks in advance.

sir_nasty - thanks for the helpful tip, that would have saved me a some time on a couple cars now...

Old 07-06-2007, 06:32 PM

As far as installation goes I haven't personally done a suspension on an accord. I did my Civic but I think it differs a little bit. You can download a free manual at the link below to help. I just glanced at the manual and it appears to be the same for the most part... You'll need at least a 10, 12, 15 and 17mm sockets (19mm for lug nuts if they're metric) and wrench plus a torque wrench.

Remove the tire and raise the car
Remove the three upper nuts
Remove the bolt that holds the brake line to the strut
Remove the lower bolt that goes through the damper fork (Y shaped)
Remove the pinch bolt that holds the fork to the strut
Push down so the fork drops into a position where it's "straddling that arm"
Then remove the whole thing

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Old 07-07-2007, 12:20 AM
dart
Unregistered

Good deal, thanks again. Big help.

Now a little info on camber kits and he and I will be set...

Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 AM
dart
Unregistered

Im having trouble opening this AbOVE ISO zip about the 98-00 Accord. Am I retarded? Or do I need some sort of program to open these. Any online manual I have ever used is pdf.

We have the fronts off right now, but I am kinda stuck on the rears. I need to figure out what interior panels to pull to access the upper pillows... Anyone know?