Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Hit a curb with rear right wheel, now its bent!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 PM
killersoundz
Unregistered
Default Hit a curb with rear right wheel, now its bent!

Crap guys I just spun out an rammed a curb real hard with my right rear wheel. I jacked it up and the wheel is very hard to spin (very restricted) and it was making an awful noise while trying to make it home. Also noticed the steering wheel had to be turned to the right for the car to drive straight after this incident. What did I **** up here?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Default RE: Hit a curb with rear right wheel, now its bent!

ORIGINAL: killersoundz What did I **** up here?
Your car...

Assuming only rear damage, the rear alignment will be way off, causing the car to 'crab' (i.e. rear wheels are not directly following front wheels). The car will be driving along the road at an angle, so for the front wheels to point in the direction of travel they need to be steered relative to the direction in which the car is pointing.

You are likely to have a bent suspension member, which if so will need replacing, and then you'll need a wheel alignment. If you're lucky the damage might not be so great that an alignment won't correct it without replacing anything...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I did the same with a left front wheel once and ended up having to replaced a ball joint and lower control arm.

I brought the car to Tires Plus for an alignment after it happened, everything seemed fine until I lowered my car and went to a family shop for another alignment a few months later.

I was quoted $700 in parts and labor, ended up doing it myself for $150.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 PM
killersoundz
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: JohnL

ORIGINAL: killersoundz What did I **** up here?
Your car...

Assuming only rear damage, the rear alignment will be way off, causing the car to 'crab' (i.e. rear wheels are not directly following front wheels). The car will be driving along the road at an angle, so for the front wheels to point in the direction of travel they need to be steered relative to the direction in which the car is pointing.

You are likely to have a bent suspension member, which if so will need replacing, and then you'll need a wheel alignment. If you're lucky the damage might not be so great that an alignment won't correct it without replacing anything...
Okay this makes sense. The alignment is definitely out but that still can't explain whats rubbing. At first I had thought I bent the spindle but I looked closer today and it doesn't appear that the wheel is wobbling at all. I drove it and my uncle followed and said he didn't notice it either. The disc brakes are rubbing on the rotor for sure, atleast thats all I hope is rubbing!

You think I should just take it to an alignment shop and have them give it a go as a first step?