Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

How to adjust coil overs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Default How to adjust coil overs?

I just bought a 98 Accord EX and it came with Coil Over Suspension and after throwing in my speaker box and battery, the extra weight really squatted the ride down. I believe it was adjusted to the lowest ride setting previously as it sat really low. Now the car has a rubbing sound when I drive it and am wondering how to raise the the coil overs up a notch. The guy that sold me the ride gave me two adjustment wrenches that basically look like basic pieces of metal that look like a handle with a large "C" as the wrench end. He tried to explain to me how to adjust them but I didn't really understand. Any Suggestions?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:38 AM
Default RE: How to adjust coil overs?

Best thing for you to do is jack up one corner of the car, remove the tire. There are two flat discs that are threaded down over the strut (spring will be sitting on them). These two discs act like two nuts on the same bolt and are backed into each other, locking them in place. Those large C wrenches hook into notches on the discs, one on each, so you can brake them apart. Getting the desired height might be some trial and error but one you got one just measure the amount of threads not used and use that for a guide.
Hope this helps

Old 09-26-2006, 06:14 AM

Ah ok I think I get it. Does t sound right that the way the guy I bought the car from explained that the coil overs had like, pre-set settings that it's "pop" into when adjusting. I am considering having a local Les Schwab adjust them and watch them when they do it (if they'd let me). That way I'd know how it was done. But they want like 190 dollars to adjust them. That sounds like a bit much to me, but what do I know.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:05 AM

Save some money, well at least jack up the car and take a look first. Yeah, $190 is a chunk of change but then again they might get it exact and have it exactly the way you want it. Really, its not that hard, just takes some time. If you are even slightly mechanicaly inclined you should be alright. As far as preset stages, maybe on the struts it has stiffness settings (aftermarket only) but I don't think that the coilovers have anything on them, unless it is on the threads, but I doubt it.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:06 AM

Save some money, well at least jack up the car and take a look first. Yeah, $190 is a chunk of change but then again they might get it exact and have it exactly the way you want it. Really, its not that hard, just takes some time. If you are even slightly mechanicaly inclined you should be alright. As far as preset stages, maybe on the struts it has stiffness settings (aftermarket only) but I don't think that the coilovers have anything on them, unless it is on the threads, but I doubt it.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 PM

you dont have to take off the tire at least i didnt

Old 10-01-2006, 09:44 PM

you dont have to take off the tire at least i didnt and you really shouldnt pay 190 for something that should take you 30 minutes just jack it up and at least look at it and try to figure it out its not too complicated