Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

How can I lower 3/4"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Best way to lower 3/4"?

1996 Accord Sedan -- I just mounted 17x7 rims with 215/45-17s on them and the wheels look so much better than stock. The problem is, the stock suspension height is even more apparent now with the new wheels.

I would like to lower the suspension a bit, but I think the standard lowering kits of 1.2-1.6" are too much. 3/4" seems like the right amount. Options:

1) Springs -- does anyone sell springs at that lowering height (for a reasonable price) out of the box?

2) Coilovers -- I just learned about these and will research. Are there any favorite brands to consider first?

3) Any other methods of shortening stock height springs? Or anything else I should be considering?

Thanks. John

Last edited by jkowtko; 05-04-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Administrator
Talking

Hi John..the best way for you to go would be adjustable coil over lowering kit..they can be adjusted from 0" to 4" inches and anywheres in between..

WheelBrokerAng
ones like these for instance...

Attached Thumbnails How can I lower 3/4"?-dz-coeclipse%7Etalon89%7E1994.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

3/4 of an inch really isnt that much. 1.2 will still give you plenty of height to clear speed bumps and such, and you will still have a few inches of wheel gap.

Function Form, Tein, Megan racing are some good coil over brands.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Almost A Senior Member

My choice of ride height is in an attempt to mirror my 2005 C230 sport sedan factory ride height, which is about 3/4" below the non-sport models. It's a good height to give the car a sporty look but still not look "lowered". You are right in that 1.2 may not be that bad -- I'll have to go back and remeasure fender height difference between the two cars, and do some more sitting on the fenders of the Accord to see how it looks when brought down different amounts.

I really like the coilover concept, though, since it gives you the freedom to adjust and readjust the ride height to your liking. However I would imagine the coilover springs are going to be about 4" shorter than non-adjustable springs. Does that produce a stiff and/or bumpy ride?

Also, as for coilover brands, I would like to keep this on a tight budget. I bought the car for just over $2k for my son to use as high first high school car, it has high miles and I don't really want to pour much money into it. The wheel/tire combo I picked up used for cheap. The shocks are shot, and between new shocks and springs I would like to spend as little as possible -- definitely under $400. The DropZone coilovers are only $100 for all four wheels, and I pulled up another brand -- Godspeed -- that are even cheaper. Are these total junk? Because if they will hold up for at least a few years and produce a decent ride, I'd rather stick with the cheaper stuff. We do not intend to drive this car hard ... just want something sporty to drive around town and to school events.

Thanks. John

Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

For example my car is lowered 1.2 and this is how it sits on 17s.

I have at least heard of dropzone before. But $100 for all 4? Something seems fishy there.

I think Megan racing is in the $400-500 range and I would go with those because I know their quality is good.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Okay, your ride height looks perfect to me ... looks like 1.2 springs are a safe way to go. I can pick up a set of Eibachs at PartsGeek for $212 ...

btw, what shocks are you using? I know this should be covered in other threads, but I figure I should ask since you have the spring height I am looking for.

Also, do you have a direct side shot of the car? A shot of my car is attached. Yes, it looks like it could use a full inch or so.

Thanks. John

Attached Thumbnails How can I lower 3/4"?-honda1.jpg  

Last edited by jkowtko; 05-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

I am on stock struts, which isnt really recommend, but I have had it like this for 6 years and the struts are still good, granted in the past 3 years I have put about 150 miles on the car.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
For example my car is lowered 1.2 and this is how it sits on 17s.

I have at least heard of dropzone before. But $100 for all 4? Something seems fishy there.

I think Megan racing is in the $400-500 range and I would go with those because I know their quality is good.
I am too busy hatin on your car.. that thing just looks beautiful man.. that's like the ideal look, subtle and beastly..

Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you, the car isn't where I want it yet. Hopefully within the next year or two it will be.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
Thank you, the car isn't where I want it yet. Hopefully within the next year or two it will be.
long term project huh.. i'm guessing it's not quite a daily driver.. some day, i shall make money and i aspires to make my car look quite as sexy..

Quick Reply: How can I lower 3/4"?