Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

How do lower control arm bushings wear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Default How do lower control arm bushings wear?

Because I'm going to be replacing upper control arms, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, stablizer end links, strut assemblies, outer CV boot on one side, while I've got things apart, I'm considering also replacing the four (two on each side) front lower control arm bushings, but I won't do that unless I think it will "tighten up" the car's ride -- at least improve the ride over the original bushings that are in there. The problem is that I don't know the true condition of the original ones that are in the car and this is why I've started this thread.

I've examined the bushings as much as I can with them in the car, the car's wheels removed and the car on jackstands, but the suspension not disassembled in any way. I can say that the bushings appear still intact and the rubber not separated from either the inner or outer metal tubes that are an inegral part of the bushing itself. However, I don't know if the rubber itself is hard, spongy, about to tear, etc.

I know it can't hurt to replace the four bushings, but, being the tightwad I am, I'd rather not do it if it does not improve ride stability, etc, so I have a few questions.

1. Is it safe to say that a 20 year old bushing is going to be, for lack of a better word, "degraded" simply due to its age (that is, as it would even if it had just been sitting on a shelf for 20 years)?

2. Is it safe to say that a bushing that has been in a car for 20 years AND 230,000 km is probably worn and needs replacing?

3. How does a bushing "fail"? Does the rubber gradually "loosen up" over time? (Does the rubber between the inner and outer metal tubes gradually lose its resistance to the two tubes rotating with respect to each other, or its ability to cushion shock between the inner and outer tubes?

Thanks for any comments.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Most rubber items tend to fail by creep displacement (rubber relaxing under load) and sometimes rupturing at places of highest stress. These bushings are pressed in place and bolt extends through them. The sleeved penetrations could also wear due to slight bolt motions under suspension movement.

I think I've read of others replacing the lower arm bushings in place, but if you're removing the lower arm, it can be done at a machine shop easier. Manuals show this procedure.

good luck

Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Most rubber items tend to fail by creep displacement (rubber relaxing under load) and sometimes rupturing at places of highest stress. These bushings are pressed in place and bolt extends through them. The sleeved penetrations could also wear due to slight bolt motions under suspension movement.

I think I've read of others replacing the lower arm bushings in place, but if you're removing the lower arm, it can be done at a machine shop easier. Manuals show this procedure.

good luck
Thanks again, TexasHonda. Maybe it's just best to bite the bullet, order them, and then replace them whether they look like they need it or not. I just need a bit of pushing in that direction by being told that they're almost certainly worn after so long and so many km.

I've looked at several videos of how to replace them. Looks pretty straigtforward to me. I'll be borrowing a ball joint press for the lower ball joints, so maybe it can press those bushings in there, too (with the arms off the car, naturally).

Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM

i hsve a 95 with 193,000 miles. replaced the entire front end.

the bushings were soft, but not deteriorated in any way. i replaced the LCAs anyway, and pressed in polyurethane bushings.

hope that answered your question.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Administrator

I would and I did replace all of mine...Makes sense that if your going to do the job that you do it the right way..

Old 07-07-2011, 04:32 PM

just remember to replace with well lubed poly bushings so you never have to replace bushings again! under normal wear and tear. (altho I have never destroyed a poly bushing of any kind)