Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Installing Aftermarket shocks n Springs??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Default Installing Aftermarket shocks n Springs??

Im abou to install my shocks n springs now ive heard from different people that i need a spring compressor....but ive also heard that if im taking off the entire assembly then i do not need a spring compressor someone please guide me to the right direction and if possible send me a link to a DIY shock n spring install......any advice/opinion would help.....i can do it but i want to do it right the first time......thanks in advance

Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Installing Aftermarket shocks n Springs??

With the front or rear of the car raised on jack stands all of the stress on the springs is released so you dont need a compressor to take the shock and spring off of the car. If your new springs aren't on your new shocks then you need to compress the spring, place it on the shock and bolt down the top spring perch and then release the compressor on the spring. Basically, if you are removing the spring/shock assembly and replacing it with a new spring/shock assembly you do not need a spring compressor.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Installing Aftermarket shocks n Springs??

Are you going to reuse the strut tower mount (i think that's what its called)? If you do, I think you might need a spring compressor so you can transfer it from your stock strut/springs to the new strut/spring. Don't know for sure....hopefully someone will verify.

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/suspension/index.php

http://syclone.motocrew.com/CG5/suspension.htm