Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Is kyb(gr-2) shock better than the stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:44 AM
putih
Unregistered
Default Is kyb(gr-2) shock better than the stock?

Hi guys, i got 98 accord it has 150k and i haven't replace the shock, struts and the spring since brand new. what do u guys think about kyb(gr-2) shock?? since i am not planning to lowerd the car i just looking for a better suspansion than the stock one. and one more question, considering the milge do i need to replace the spring as well?? thanks for reading my posting and thank you for your comment!!!

erwin

Old 01-09-2006, 04:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Is kyb(gr-2) shock better than the stock?

the springs usually stay good for a long time. if you notice a sag or the car is tilted to one side then you should replace it. the dealership recommends gold line, and i recommend tein. the KYB is a great shock and you will notice a substantial difference over the stock one at that age, its a good cheap shock that should last about 10 years. you should definately lower your car though.

lightshow

Old 01-10-2006, 04:14 AM
putih
Unregistered

to lightshow: thank you very much for your comment. since i am new to this forum do u know if there is a article about how to change the suspansion by myself? once again thank you

erwin

Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

im not sure if there is. its really easy though. there are 3+ 10 mm's on the top that need to be taken off.

Your brake line will be attached to the strut assembly probably in two places, take these off.

one bolt holds in on the bottom. i forget the size, maybe 17 mm. you do not have to pull the axles to get the fronts out. but it may be a good idea to change them at 150. a couple rebuilds will cost about 65 bucks apiece. ok

take the correct size allen wrench and use it to hold the top of the strut tower while loosening the nut. after its loose you dont need the allen wrench anymore. wrap the whole assemply up in a towel like a joint bunching up the area around the strut tower, when that bolt pops off everything should stay in or around the general area of the towel. that spring will be under pressure though.

than just put everything back together the same way it came off. this is a great time to put on an upper strut tower bar when you put it all back together. the rears you can easily get the bolt on just pushing the spring down with your hand. the fronts, you will want someone heavy to help you or you will need to get a mcpherson strut compressor, you can rent it at an auto parts store. if you have a hefty helper though you wont need it.

lightshow

Old 01-12-2006, 03:17 AM
putih
Unregistered

to lightshow: Thanks again for your response. I really appriciate it. I can wait to install it, just order it yesterday form ebay...