Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Lowered my car, now i need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Default Lowered my car, now i need help

Okay,

I had an issue with crappy ebay coilovers that the previous owner of my 94 ex had put on, I just installed tein s. tech lowering springs. I love em because the ride is so much nicer now, a lot smoother and less bouncy. I have an issue though, I had raised the coilovers up a little bit to combat bad camber, now the springs have dropped me about 1/2-3/4 of an inch lower than I was. Today I drove over to Seattle and scraped on a ton of things, I scraped on the ferry, I scraped pulling into a parking lot, I scraped going across some train tracks, I scraped getting back on the ferry; excuse the saying but my butt hurts from puckering every time I heard that scrape.

I don't want to change the springs to coilovers because I like the smoother ride they provide, will adjustable shocks allow me to adjust my ride height a little, just a little, I don't need it to put me back up an 1 1/2 or anything, just maybe a 1/2"

I saw an add for some Koni's that says it will do that, but I would like some feedback before I think about shelling out close to $300.

Oh yeah, I also found out that the previous owner had (and they are still there for now) mismatched struts on the front, two completely different brands resulting in a 1/2" ride height difference left to right.[sm=boosign.gif]

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys you're great

Old 03-11-2006, 03:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Lowered my car, now i need help

dude you need to get your suspension straightened out. but yea when you riding low you have to drive completely different. imagine if you were crusing in a lotus......how would you creep a driveway? if im not doing about 1/2 mile an hour and exactly 45 degrees then ill scrape big time.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:05 PM

In my defense, I was driving much slower, but like the ferry, I can't exactly change from going straight in or straight out, I have been a lot more careful though and it is helping for the most part, but if I put a lip on my car(right now its missing it) its going to get torn off in the first week.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

seriously then you might want to go back to a stock suspension. im not trying to be rude of anything. in general though....just think about it, you going to want to have high performance cars throughout your life. and the older you get and the more money that you have, the higher performance your going to want. are you saying that if you bought a lotus v8 you would rip that lip that hangs about 2 inches off the ground off in a week???! hell no youd drive it like it should and there wouldnt be one damn scratch on it.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:42 PM

It's true, maybe next time I will suck it up and drive around instead of taking the ferry. Besides that though, I will quit whining about it, but is there adjustable shocks out there that will do what I am asking? Thanks for the reality check.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:06 AM

I swear by my kyb's, but I really don't think they will raise your ride height. You might consider some new springs that don't lower the car so much. The kyb's can adjust for comfort to a stiff performace ride. I always keep em' stiff, but you have the comfort option there. If you get some really stiff shocks like the kyb's MAYBE your car won't bottom out on tiny bumps. If it's scaping though, without suspension travel, then you will need to raise it somehow.

Before the kyb's I would bottom out on bumbs, but I haven't since...

Old 03-13-2006, 12:35 AM

Well, I got the backs on and the ride is 100 times better than with the coilovers. The previous owner had put mismatched shocks on the back as well, or struts, whichever they aren't the same on both sides. I will be taking my car to the alignment shop and seeing what kind of price i can get on some koni's or kyb's. It appears my toe issue in the back has been remedied but there might be something bent as it is still a little toed in, I didn't see anything when I was underneath it though, I will have the alignment guys check it for me. I will post some pics of the after pics, it was a miserable day so I didn't take any during pics.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:53 AM

look on ebay if you want a good price on kyb's i bought a complete set for my accord shipped to my door for $179.49........that's awesome!

[sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-14-2006, 04:47 AM

Okay here are a coupla pics, sorry if they turn out big: The pic of the wheels is my wheels up close