Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

lowering my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Default lowering my car

I bought my 1995 accord from a friend of mine a few months ago and he had lowered the car before hand. when i got it he put brand new tires on it and now, 4000 miles later, the right front tire is really bald on the inside, theres steel showing and he said its doing that because the is lowered..is this true? and if it is or isnt, how could i fix that?...I dont know much about cars but i would really like to "be my own mechanic" soon

Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

When it's lowered, the suspension needs to be re-aligned. Severe tire wear can be from lowering & then NOT aligning the car. Camber & toe are usually to blame.

Alignment is one of the few things that don't really lend themselves to DIY mechanics.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 PM

/ \ <---- that is how your front tires and maybe back tires are sitting. You should purchase a camber kit to straighten the tires up.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM

yes there is definitely an alignment issue however bald after 4000 miles is very bad. that sounds like your toe is way off than anything. camber causes wear but not that bad. even at like -3 camber. the killer is a combination of camber and toe. the toe will wear out the surface contacting the road very quickly. my back left has the same issue.

how much is this car lowered? id say dont just jump on a camber kit. take it to a shop and see if you can work a deal. get them to align it and then see what camber is off. (they can fix toe without any kits on our cars). they will even let you know if there is a problem is other components. then see if they will let you install a camber kit and come back for another quick alignment no charge. worth a try.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by clutch811
yes there is definitely an alignment issue however bald after 4000 miles is very bad. that sounds like your toe is way off than anything. camber causes wear but not that bad. even at like -3 camber. the killer is a combination of camber and toe. the toe will wear out the surface contacting the road very quickly. my back left has the same issue.

how much is this car lowered? id say dont just jump on a camber kit. take it to a shop and see if you can work a deal. get them to align it and then see what camber is off. (they can fix toe without any kits on our cars). they will even let you know if there is a problem is other components. then see if they will let you install a camber kit and come back for another quick alignment no charge. worth a try.
x2 don't buy one just yet you might not even need it. Iv don't use one on my cb and I’m slammed with a good alignment. I have no tire issues what so ever. And I’m running fusion HRI tires rated and 70k milles and Iv put 6okish and still don't have one sides of my tires warring more than the others at all they all are warring evenly. But IMPO don't get your car aliened at tires plus firestone ect. Go to a dealership and get it done...you also don't have to go see honda I take mine to yota cus my dad works for them. Iv always had some type of issue when I get my car worked on at tire shops. Most of them don't care about your car and just run through things.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

You need a camber kit. Simple.

People always say toe is more important. Well, when you have any camber that is more or less than +/-1 degree, you need a kit. When your tire is / or \ you WILL have camber wear. It is stupid to not get a kit, then realize that after you pay for an alignment and go through another set of tires you need camber kits, new tires, and another alignment.

I would recommend SPC or Ingalls balljoint kit for the front. (I have Ingalls)
And Wicked Tuning for the rear.

Good luck and get the kits asap.